Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jcarl
Reel Rookie

Roku Express suddenly has connectivity/update/activation issues

Our device has worked fine since we got it a few months ago. Suddenly this week, it would freeze, fail to load any apps, and give me either error code 001 or 003. 

We have gone through all the support articles related to connectivity and failure to update software. We’ve tried all the suggestions. We’re able to connect to the internet and have a strong signal on all other devices. I’m fact, even the Roku can sometimes detect our excellent WiFi signal, but refuses to update software or perform any other function. 

We tried a factory reset. During the setup process, we can sometimes get to the point where we need to enter our email address to receive an activation email. I’ve tried this about 10 times. I only received an email once (they’re not in my spam folder), and the link in that email accomplished nothing. The Roku cannot seem to detect when I click the link in the email. 

It’s as if the Roku woke up one day and has dementia. 

Model: 3930X

SN: S013209RVMJS

6 REPLIES 6
Abmd10

Re: Roku Express suddenly has connectivity/update/activation issues

Same!! SOMEONE HELP!!! Kids are going to lose it if I can’t get it working!!!

Jcarl
Reel Rookie

Update: I have since received a total of 4 activation emails. When I click the link, it says it’s expired. 

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Try rebooting/restarting your modem/router even if everything else is working.  Unplug the power from your Roku and then unplug the power from your modem/router for several seconds and reconnect it. Give it a few minutes and then reconnect the power to your Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Jcarl
Reel Rookie

@renojim We have tried that multiple times and it helps nothing. 

Jcarl
Reel Rookie

STRANGE RESOLUTION: We were able to get it set up and working again by creating a brand new Roku account with a new email address. 

I’m thankful we were able to come to a solution, but the problem shouldn’t have existed in the first place, and the lack of support from Roku is disappointing. I don’t think we’d buy another Roku, nor would I recommend it.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

That is a strange resolution - it may be related to the Roku web/device management outage the last few days.

0 Kudos