Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
n0lan_w
Level 7

Roku Express storage temperature

I just purchased 4 Roku Express devices for use in my RV. I was wondering if it would be safe to leave them in there when the RV is in storage, where the temperature can sometimes go below freezing in the winter, or if I should remove them when needed. 
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Roku Express storage temperature

"n0lan_w" wrote:
I just purchased 4 Roku Express devices for use in my RV. I was wondering if it would be safe to leave them in there when the RV is in storage, where the temperature can sometimes go below freezing in the winter, or if I should remove them when needed. 

You shouldn’t allow electronics to get that cold, as a general rule. Put them in individual storage bags (think Ziploc bags), then all together in a “go bag” near anything else you would grab at last minute before heading out.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"n0lan_w" wrote:

You should be fine.

I have had several Roku devices sitting in my RV during the winters in the last few years. One winter even had negative F degrees when they were stored there and the RV is sitting on open lands. The devices still work.

Your mileage may vary tho. (Reads my latest Roku is in the house tho)
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

I believe 10 degrees F is about how cold you should let electronics get, and let them warm to room temperature gradually before using them.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"jeffrok" wrote:
I believe 10 degrees F is about how cold you should let  electronics get, and let them warm to room temperature gradually before using them.

10 F is about right for electronics with moving parts, bearings, etc and if the temperature goes below 10 F then you should let them "heat" back up over time.

Solid construction like the Roku device should not matter much below 10 F. But you should still let it get back to regular temperatures before using it, instead of using it instantly.

Disclaimer: Maybe, the Roku with the fan will be in troubles.
0 Kudos
denhow
Level 7

You've probably already thought of this, but you should remove the batteries from the remote.
0 Kudos