Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LMacey
Reel Rookie

Roku Express keeps unlinking after power off

Hey everyone.

I own a Roku Express (2017) which works great, it's linked to my Roku account. I recently bought a new Express (2019) for my son to use, which we went through the initial set up and software update and linked it to my Roku account, and it then worked fine w netflix etc.

However, once the USB power was removed from the Roku unit, it unlinked itself from my Roku account, and when i power it on again I have to go through setup again, relink the device etc. This works till power is removed and then we're back to square one. I tried a hard reset but this didn't help, and to be frank it's unnacceptable having to run setup every time, this never happens with my original unit.  I've tried this using the tvs usb power and a wall wart usb psu, and frankly I shouldn't need to leave it powered 24/7 for it to stay registered.

So considering this I returned this 2019 unit and bought another 2017 Express (as it had previously worked fine for me), but upon attempting to install it today, it's the exact same problem; run setup, run firmware update, link to roku account, add channels, then it works; but the moment usb power to the unit is removed you're back to square one and the device is unregistered from my Roku account!

So has anyone got any ideas why this could be, any advice gratefully received!

regards

13 REPLIES 13
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express keeps unlinking after power off

@LMacey 

Thanks for the inquiry. I'm sorry to hear about the experience—that's not what we aim for.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able happy to pass along your information to our Support team who can further assist you with your issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
LMacey
Reel Rookie

Just sent you a PM @RokuDanny-R 

0 Kudos
LMacey
Reel Rookie

I was offered an RMA for my device, but as this was the 2nd brand new device which didn't work, I decided it was safer to return it to the retailer (for a 2nd time!!) to get a full refund. I guess I'll be either trying a 2nd hand roku or an amazon firestick now 😞

0 Kudos
Momofella2

I’m experiencing the same problem. Brand new unit purchased through Roku itself less than a month ago! Extremely unhappy. Did hard reset twice, checked connection, strength is good. ...??   Now what?

0 Kudos
chrishawks
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same issue with my Roku 2xs

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @chrishawks

Thanks for the post.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern? 

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@chrishawks

Thanks for the reply.

We would recommend performing a factory reset on the affected device then try linking your existing Roku account once again.

Perform the following steps with your Roku remote or the Roku mobile app.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Advanced system settings
  5. Select Factory reset
  6. If you have a Roku TV, select Factory reset everything. Otherwise, move to the next step.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions

For more information, check out this link: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku® streaming device

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
e-agapiou

Hi, I have the same problem... How to solve this problem please?

0 Kudos
chrishawks
Reel Rookie

Doing the factory reset didn't solve the problem.

0 Kudos