Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amandico82

Roku Express freezing

Hi. I looked all over and I dont see my problem listed anywhere, also I'm posti6here cause rather wasnt an option for my issue. So let me start by saying I already check the location of the roku Express device and the remote. There is no interference and there is a straight path to the receiver nothing is obstructing it from getting the remote signal. Second I check batteries and they r fine. So here is my issue. I turn tv on, press any button on roku remote and get a response, if I'm lucky it may let me get to the app I'm trying to use. Mostly Pluto and YouTube. But that's when I'm lucky. If not It freezes right before I even get a chance to make a second input. And it just stays there no response. I have to wait like 1 minute before pressing any other buttons or it just wont do anything. Same happens if I have a app open. I press any buttons like trying to scroll to a menu it has become impossible. This started happening about 3 days ago. I have restarted the device many times. Just really annoying to the point that if today I find no solution I'm tearing it off stomping on it and throwing it out the window( I live on a 27th floor.) So please if anyone knows what the **bleep** is going on with my device before I lose my mind and do something stupid. Thanks.

17 REPLIES 17
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express freezing

I know it doesn't make sense, but have you also tried restarting/rebooting your modem and/or router?  If you can, give the Roku app a try on your phone and use it to control your Roku.  See if the problem occurs.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Mt211
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same problem!!! About to return it and try another brand. Apparently there is no way to talk or chat to anyone either to help. If there is please let me know.  Very frustrating and disappointing!

Mt211
Reel Rookie

I've tried all that and nothing stops it. 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mt211,

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? Do you see a light on the Roku device when plugged into the wall socket? Have you tried checking the HDMI connection if it's on the right input port on your TV?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
loafskidder
Binge Watcher

I think we can assume the light is on and the HDMI cable is correct....

0 Kudos
loafskidder
Binge Watcher

Still waiting for an answer. I am guessing the Roku is shot...gets left on all the time - perhaps best to unplug when not in use??

0 Kudos
loafskidder
Binge Watcher

Pressing a button on the remote seems to initiate cycling, i.e., get out of the freeze. Holding down a button seems to stop the cycling but does not allow menu selection. In addition, switching HDMI inputs results in the tv (not a Roku tv, a Panasonic) switching back to the Roku input by itself. Pretty amazing. Have to unplug Roku to move to another HDMI input.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@loafskidder, you haven't stated what your problem is and please don't say, "it's the same problem".  Trying to read between the lines it sounds like you have a stuck/faulty button on your remote.  Take the batteries out of your remote and try using the Roku app on your phone as a remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
loafskidder
Binge Watcher

Problem - menus freeze or cycle whether the remote is used or not. If I do get to a program, it can go into fast forward by itself or freeze up. Already changed the remote batteries. Pretty sure it is not the remote...ordered another express which will help define the problem,  I hope. Another issue is no help from Roku.

0 Kudos