Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Roku Express and Roku Express+

Jump to solution

I have the Roku streaming stick 3600 and the older Roku 2 XD which is still working ;-)  My remote will not respond to the right arrow so I cannot actually use it LOL.  I did download the Roku app for my iPhone and that will work but I'm constantly getting dropped connection messages so it just may be time to upgrade this product.    I do see that I can order a Roku Express+ for $15 and on the website I see the Roku Express.  From what I can find, the Express+ comes with composite cables which I do not need, I have extra HDMI slots on the back of my Samsung, which is not 4K.  

My questions are:

1) beyond the composite cable, is there any difference between these two Roku devises as far as signal strength or features?  I know this is an entry-level player so there are not a lot of features.  This one is for my 2nd tv and the XD has served me well so I don't need a lot of extras that I can think of for this tv. It comes with the composite cable and the HDMI cable so for the Experss+ to be $15 less than the Express makes me wonder what I am buying with each one.

2)   I read a few reviews that said the Roku express (it didn't say express+ so I am just calling it express for the purposes of my question) is not supported for customer service, is this true?  One reviewer said they had to pay for help.  I realize that people say things that are not true.  If it is being sold directly from Roku, wouldn't it have some support?

Thank you for your help

Michelle

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Roku Express and Roku Express+

Jump to solution

Also, per the chart, the Express comes with a basic infrared, line of sight remote.

Express+ has a more advanced remote that adds search-by-voice-command capability and can control by wifi-direct, meaning direct line of sight us no longer necessary.  You don't have to point the remote at the Roku, and you can even tuck the Roku away somewhere out of sight and still control it.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

They're giving you a deal on the Express+ because you had the XD which is pretty much obsolete.  Normally the Express+ would be more than the Express.  I don't think there's any difference other than the Express+ supports older SDTVs.  It's true about the support.  The only support you get with the Express models is on the Roku website with its support questionnaire (which tends to be useless) or here in the forum.  The forum moderators will sometimes step in and help with an Express issue, but otherwise it's just other users (like me).

As far as paid support, whomever stated that probably contacted some 3rd party support and almost certainly got scammed.  Roku doesn't offer paid support of any kind.

Level 17

Jump to solution
You may find this Wikipedia Roku model comparison chart to be of use:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you Renojim, this does help.  Are you able to tell me which models do get support from Roku?  I'd like to better understand the impact of my choice when I choose which one to buy.

Stay safe and healthy!

Michelle

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

I believe it's only the Express models that don't receive support, but for $15 I wouldn't worry too much about support.  You can get help with most technical problems here and if it turns out you get a lemon I believe there's still some kind of warranty.  I'd look at a $15 device as disposable.  For me, it's not worth the hassle to try to get a $15 device replaced.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you Makaiguy, I've saved this link.  From what I see on the spreadsheet, they are the same with the Express+ having the extra composite cable.  I am not seeing a topic on the ss that suggests anything about each model's wireless range or any other feature that would affect the value of playback, is that accurate?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and respond.

Stay safe and healthy!

Michelle

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

Also, per the chart, the Express comes with a basic infrared, line of sight remote.

Express+ has a more advanced remote that adds search-by-voice-command capability and can control by wifi-direct, meaning direct line of sight us no longer necessary.  You don't have to point the remote at the Roku, and you can even tuck the Roku away somewhere out of sight and still control it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

No, No, No! Do not get the Roku Express+. It has issues with some apps such as YouTube, Pluto TV, and third party developed, iOS and Android compatible screen mirroring apps.

For YouTube,

4:3 videos are pillarboxed and squished at left and right sides, making them crop to a tall square in a 4:3 signal, and that is FALSELY acting like the signal is 16:9, not 4:3, which is the first scam.

For Pluto TV,

4:3 channels are windowboxed at top, bottom, left and right sides in a 4:3 signal, and that is FALSELY acting like they are pillarboxed to 16:9, not filled to 4:3, which is the second scam.

For third party developed, iOS and Android compatible Screen mirroring apps,

iOS and Android screens are stretched vertically from 16:9 in a 4:3 signal, and that is FALSELY acting like the signal is 16:9, not 4:3, which is the third, and last scam.

Out of app issues

You need to get a Raspberry Pi with Composite outputs, since they support 4:3, and probably streaming.

Good luck!

~Jordan

0 Kudos