Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hal1
Level 7

Roku Express Won't Update

Roku Express (3900 series) Version 9.2.0 Build 4806. WiFi signal excellent and all connections good.  Roku programming always works fine other than it can't update software and I always must unplug it, wait a minute and plug it back in after it tries to update including mornings after it has tried to update at night when not in use.  Update 9.3 downloads 100% but then screen goes to "No Cable Connection".  I unplug it, wait a minute and plug it back in and the Roku programming works fine again but the software update never takes.  Hasn't updated since January 28th.  Really seems like a software bug to me.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Express Won't Update

@Hal1 

Thanks for the post.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can update your device. Then once the device has been updated, switch back to your home wireless network.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Hal1
Level 7

Thanks RokuDanny-R.  My router is top of the line, new and strong and my signal to the Roku states "Excellent".  My computer WiFi in the same room is fast and outstanding.  I have rebooted everything multiple times.  I have also tried to do the Roku update off my computer mobile hotspot and it did the same thing multiple times.  It finds the v9.3 update, states it's going to download, downloads 100% fairly quickly, then I get the dark screen stating "No Cable Connection".  I must unplug the Roku Express for at least a minute or so and plug it back in.  Then, everything works great but the update always shows that it has never taken.  I am totally puzzled.  Is something defective?  It didn't do this a while ago, but I also don't know if an update was ever trying to come through at night.  I am very disappointed not being able to be updated and always having to unplug it every morning.  I bought the Roku Express as my first attempt to cut the cord and move into smart television as a retiree, albeit a somewhat tech savvy one.  Other than this problem, I am very happy and am committed to increase my exposure to the online tv world via Roku.  Plus, my son has done well with the Roku stock he owns!  I don't know where to turn at this point and appreciate your input.  Thanks, Hal

0 Kudos
Hal1
Level 7

RokuDanny-R - this may help.  I had purchased a total of 3 Roku Expresses to cut the cord and start to learn about, and move into, the smart tv world with our 3 conventional tv's.  We are doing some remodeling, so one is still in the box and another I used for a couple of months and it has been disconnected for about a month.  That room is now done, so I just hooked up the latter one which seemed to work fine before while I was using it and checked the update.  It has the v.9.3 and was updated May 28th.  It shows me an up-to-date screen when I check it.  The WiFi signal in that room where the Roku Express is working properly is good, but not as good as where the Roku Express does not update and forces me to unplug it every morning.  Plus the working one is on an older tv.  I am hoping that this additional data is helpful.  I really am sensing that this Roku Express has an internal problem.  What do you think and what do I do?  Thanks, Hal

0 Kudos
Hal1
Level 7

RokuDanny-R – I bought another Roku Express and nothing else has changed and it works perfectly, updating to v.9.3 immediately.  It seems conclusive that the Roku Express I have has a software defect.  That is probably why no one has been able to help me resolve my problem.  What can I do with the bad one?  Thanks, Hal

0 Kudos
Cosmo_Ju29ro
Level 8

I have had the same problem for months.

I have bought several rokus but the absolute lack of support and accountability is ridiculous. There are better alternatives.

0 Kudos