Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jimbo911
Reel Rookie

Roku Express Plus stuck in endless update loop

This is an older Roku Express with the AV cable. It was working fine, until I did a hardware reset trouble shooting a problem with the Fubo Roku app. Now it is stuck in an infinite update loop like so many others and is currently no longer usable.

>I've already tried another network and another power supply. <

>I have already tried the manual reset, holding the paper clip for over 60 seconds.<

Before the manual reset, the device was working fine other than the problem with the Fubo app.

Any solutions that actually work, or should I just deep six it and buy something else?

TIA.

Jim

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express Plus stuck in endless update loop

Not exactly sure what is causing this booting error for users.  Happens cross platform but does seem to affect the Express units the most.  No clear explanation given.  

Starting to wonder if it may be remote or display related.  As in, the next steps after booting are to search for remote(pairing if needed) and setting the display type.

Things I would try...

1.  First, try to see if you can get the Express to boot from another TV. 

2. Second, try to see if removing batteries from remote during setup helps. (may see no remote, then prompt to pair)

3. Third, maybe try unplugging the HDMI from the TV, reboot the Express, give it a couple of minutes, then plug the HDMI back into your TV. 

4. In order to eliminate any network issue, can also try releasing the Express IP from the router's DHCP server/assignment.  (I would really only do this if it had problems connecting, though).  I am pretty confidant that the Roku device only does a network search after successfully booting.  Can't say for sure though.

Kind of a weird issue.  Sometimes people leave it completely unplugged and then it starts to work again.  Can't really explain that.  And of course, always the possibility that maybe there is no fix for these units when they start to display this behavior.  I need to get my hands on my one of these stuck logo devices.

Hopefully maybe one of these suggestions help you.  Appreciate if you could post back results if these things either do or do not work or you see some progression.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Jimbo911
Reel Rookie

This is an Express Plus model 3910RW with the AV cable.

1. I tried on an older portable TV. I am using the AV cable on both, so I'm not sure what difference that would have. No help.

2. I tried another Roku remote I have, I also tried the Roku remote app for my cell phone. No help

3. I'm using the AV cable. No HDMI to unplug.

4. My other (older) Roku (LT) continues to work fine. It just won't run newer apps. I fail to see how failing to load an update after it has downloaded 100%, would be a network issue. I tried my neighbors wireless network also, but no luck there either. I even tried my cell phone's hot spot, today. NADA.

It downloads the update 100%, reboots, reverts to the select your language page, downloads the update, repeat ad infinitum.

Thanks anyway.

Jim

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Yes sir.  It justs seems that after the software is updated, it seems to corrupt the system somehow.  If Roku would start allowing users to revert back to previous versions of the OS, (long enough to complete setup), or patch their latest update,  this would probably eliminate more than half the problems people are experiencing.  It does seem that the issue is initiated upon the 9.4 update from either a new or factory reset condition with some of the Express units.  It could even be hardware variances in the unit themselves not responding well to the update.

Sorry couldn't be more help.  Hoping something else from the normal troubleshooting you tried could help.

Last thought...After you update and get stuck at the language screen, have you tried just unplugging the power forcing it to reboot. (don't select the language again, just unplug power for a min or so, and plug back in)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Jimbo911
Reel Rookie

I "fixed" the problem by purchasing a Fire Stick and an hdmi to AV converter. I was concerned about video quality with the cheap hdmi to AV converter, but the AV video quality is much better than the older Roku's with the AV cables, plus I lost the widescreen format that Roku always forced on you.

I'll hang onto the Express Plus for a time to see if Roku ever releases a new update that addresses the problem, though I won't hold my breath.

Jim

0 Kudos