Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarGar73

Roku Express + Availability

Why is the Roku Express+ (3910 series) virtually not available? Is Roku not aware that there are still plenty of devices that cannot be connected with an HDMI cable?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express + Availability

The 3910 was discontinued years ago.  It makes no financial sense whatsoever for a company to support 20th century technology.  There are plenty of workarounds for connecting an HDMI device to an SDTV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Production of the 3910 model dropped in around the summer of 2018, when the Premiere+ 3921 units (released in the fall of 2018) began production in place of the 3910 units.  Since then, none of the major players were produced with analog ports anymore, and analog TV sets are simply in the minority now; you can only find analog sets in used markets these days, whether it’s a thrifty market or not.  There are probably some generic Android boxes that still support analog connections, but I’d recommend any major player over a generic unlicensed player.  I’ve owned the 3910 for two years (bought online from Walmart back in Feb. 2020 when they still had it), and it still works well.  The packaging on my unit had a copyright date of 2018 when I got it, so it was probably one of the last 3910 units that Roku sold.  

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

I have also forgot to mention (and plus this topic is now a month old!), many devices released today with analog ports, including the devices mentioned in my previous reply, are generic / no-name brands.  My 8-input Composite Switch-box, which is MT-VIKI manufactured from mid/late 2010s, around the same time the Roku 3710 and 3910 models debuted, has no brand name on the unit itself whatsoever.  Another non-HDMI composite switcher I own is a 4-input model, branded Archer (which is a sub-label of the former electronics retail giant called Radio Shack), and the date code on the bottom of the unit itself is April 1993 (4A3) (the A written between the numbers is just a separation suffix).  That was literally back when HDMI was not a thing at all. 

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos