Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Warren01

Roku Express - After update, will not go to next screen. Can not add info for setup.

Bought an Roku Express last night, hooked up power, HDMI, added WIFI, language, then was prompted to update. After update the screen goes to the Roku sign, then a blank purple screen, and then back to language screen. It never gives me any other instructions, and will not give me a code to link the player to the account I started. What am I doing wrong? I even watched the install video, did I get a defective unit?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express - After update, will not go to next screen. Can not add info for setup.

If you're using your TV's USB port then use the supplied power adapter.  If you're already doing that then I'd take it back.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express - After update, will not go to next screen. Can not add info for setup.

Some people with this problem have reported success by using a wifi hot spot on their mobile phone as the internet connection. If/when it completes the update successfully then they could switch it back to using their home wifi network.

If you don't have a phone hot spot available you could take it to a friend or neighbor's and try using their wifi for the update.

Note: this has not been universally successful, but many people have reported it worked for them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos