Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grizwald
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express 4K+ Powers up to the bouncing letters screen

I have the same issue. My serial number is SO7P217S6FKN. I had the message “no signal” when I changed input and then I unplugged and replugged both HDMI and power. The screen then had bouncing letters. I unplugged and replugged, then pushed reset button and “no signal” came on again. It had been working fine.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @Grizwald

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. 

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Grizwald
Reel Rookie

There is no difference since it was always plugged into wall outlet. Is the remote power button supposed to turn off the device? It would not turn it off (blue light on device. Changed the AAA batteries but no avail.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@Grizwald  A Roku never turns off. You can however sync the remote to your tv to turn your TV off

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@Grizwald

Thanks for the response.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. They will follow up and further assist you through email.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Jackman1630
Channel Surfer

I have 4 Roku units.  Three of the four updated software on 3/23.  All three have bouncing letter Roku screen within 10 minutes of beginning to watch a show.  Four unit without 3/23 software update works just fine.  Something is wrong with your 3/23 software update.  Mitch

#4630X model

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@Jackman1630

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

1. Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
  4. Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
  5. How are you powering your Roku device? Through wall outlet or USB port of the TV?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Grizwald
Reel Rookie

1. S/N: S07P217S6FKN, this is obtained from original box that the unit came in. I am unable to get past the dancing letters. No Home Screen, no channels etc…

2. Same as above. I can’t even produce a home screen. 

3. I can’t get this far. 

4. Again I can’t get this far.

5. It is powered by a wall outlet and that has been the case since 1st used.

when I first turned onTV tonight and changed input from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 where my Roku is set for, there wasn’t any connectivity. Then I unplugged the power to the Roku and now I have dancing letters. The Roku remote will not change anything and I have replaced the AAA batteries.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@Grizwald

Thanks for the information you provided.

I have already forwarded your concern to our Support team as mentioned in my previous post above. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos