Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike_
Level 7

Roku Express 2017 will not install software update

I have a Roku Express 3900 from 2017. (https://web.archive.org/web/20171007114402/https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express) It is running software version 519.20E04806A Build date 20191203 02:53. It says there is a software update available. After the software update is downloaded and apparently installed successfully (no errors are displayed) the device reboots, the animated ROKU logo appears for about a second and then the TV says no video signal is being received. The device is then unresponsive until power power cycled by removing the power cable, waiting about ten seconds and then plugging it back in. This has been happening for several months.

There is obviously something fundamentally wrong with either the device or the software update. If the software update is bad, then that raises the question of how it can be bad for so long without being fixed. If there is something wrong with the device then it is not evident how that could be fixed. I have tried a factory reset both via the on screen menus and via the recessed physical button. All that achieved was to make the device completely unusable. Power it up, go through set up, it says there is a software update available, it downloads the update, reboots, crashes, has to be power cycled, repeat.

According to the Roku website "Agent-assisted support is not available for your issue and/or model." If anyone has any useful suggestions on how to make the device work again I would be grateful to hear them. Please note that none of the following are useful responses:

• Turn the device off and on again.
  • Turn the router off and on again.
  • Try waiting longer after the reboot.
  • Use a different HDMI cable.
  • Use a different wireless network.
  • Use a different power adapter.
  • Change the "Software update server" setting from release to beta.
  • Change the "channel store server" setting (only one value is available, api.roku.com).
  • Do a factory reset.
  • Buy another Roku device.
  • A story about how many Roku devices you own and the remodelling of your house.
  • "I have a different problem and I am posting it here instead of starting my own thread."
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express 2017 will not install software update

That software version doesn't make sense. The latest version of the OS is 9.3.0, with different build numbers based on the hardware involved. Your software version should be in the same format: x.x.x. 

I know you rejected this advice in your list, but what has worked for users stuck in this mode is to use an alternate Internet source, such as a phone hotspot. No idea why, but it's worked for many people. After the update, it should reconnect to your regular network.

There are some settings available in one of the secret menus to select a different update server, but you need the device to be running normally to access those menus. I don't think they can be accessed while you're in the initial setup stage. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@atc98092 wrote:

That software version doesn't make sense. The latest version of the OS is 9.3.0, with different build numbers based on the hardware involved. Your software version should be in the same format: x.x.x. 

I know you rejected this advice in your list, but what has worked for users stuck in this mode is to use an alternate Internet source, such as a phone hotspot. No idea why, but it's worked for many people. After the update, it should reconnect to your regular network.

There are some settings available in one of the secret menus to select a different update server, but you need the device to be running normally to access those menus. I don't think they can be accessed while you're in the initial setup stage. 

The version string/information he listed is how RokuOS reports it internally/via API (e.g. via the update Secret Screen (5xHome, 3xFF, 2xRW) or in the NetFlix/Settings/Get Help/Device).

519.20E04806A Build date: 20191203 02:53 = RokuOS 9.2.0 Build 4806 Hardware Model 51

or

559.30E04172A Build date: 20200602 21:21 = RokuOS 9.3.0 Build 4172 Hardware Model 55

Otherwise your suggestion that he use a different WAN/internet connection (such as a phone generated HotSpot) is sound troubleshooting/workaround advice give the current situation.

The increasing issues with WiFi connections (and just about everything else) in recent RokuOS versions/builds is just indicative of the decreasing overall code quality at Roku, most likely due to the loss of experienced personnel over the last half year or so:

https://www.roku.com/jobs/listing/software-engineering?department=Software%20Engineering

https://www.roku.com/jobs/listing/user-experience?department=User%20Experience

0 Kudos
atc98092

Yes, I figured it was some sort of internal code. It just wasn't helpful for his query. I appreciate the info. Smiley Happy

Dan

0 Kudos
mike_
Level 7

I failed to mention that the reason I consider all the things I listed as not being useful replies are mostly because, ridiculous as they sound, I've tried them already. I've taken the **bleep** thing to a different house. The last three just because I don't want to hear from people who post stuff like that on here.

Using a different network only makes sense if there is evidence the device cannot download the update. That my devices displays no errors, the download progress reaches 100% and then it reboots, suggests that the device downloaded the update successfully. That or there is a significant bug in it's code that means it consistently believes it has downloaded an update but hasn't.

I was going to dry Developer Mode to see if that would show any logs that might be useful but attempting to enable Developer Mode during setup got me a message that the device must be connected to a Roku account.

I might see if I can work out how to intercept its network traffic and see if that yields any clues.

(Wow, the forum censors a homophone of "dam".)

0 Kudos
mike_
Level 7

It has occurred to me that the build date of the software the device is running is some time after the device was purchased. Which means that Factory Reset has not reset the device to the state it left the factory in, it's merely wiped all the user information. Is there some other hidden factory reset that's possible, besides the obvious one in the UI menus and the hardware button that I've tried both of already, that will actually reset the device back to how it was when it left the factory?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@mike_ wrote:

It has occurred to me that the build date of the software the device is running is some time after the device was purchased. Which means that Factory Reset has not reset the device to the state it left the factory in, it's merely wiped all the user information. Is there some other hidden factory reset that's possible, besides the obvious one in the UI menus and the hardware button that I've tried both of already, that will actually reset the device back to how it was when it left the factory?

Unfortunately, there's no way to go all the way back to the shipped version of the OS. Roku devices don't have enough memory to retain previous versions of the OS, so an update just replaces the existing version. The factory reset does what you said, just removes all personal information from the device and sets it to run the initial setup procedure on the next power on.

Dan

0 Kudos
gdstrother
Level 7

Hello. I'm having a similar problem with my Roku Express, though i don't have to remove and plug the power cord back in. I've been asked repeatedly for the past several days to install the latest Roku update. I select "Update Now," the update appears to download and install, and Roku reboots itself, and then I'm taken back to the Home screen. Sure enough, within a day or so, I'm asked to install the update again.

I've tried restarting the Roku through the "Settings" menu. I'm not quite sure I need to restart my router since the update does appear to download and install. I did have the Roku check my connection, and it said the check was successful.

Any ideas? This issue happened to me earlier this year, and I have no idea what finally forced the Roku to accept the update.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos