Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PabloAVG
Level 9

Re: Roku Dolby TrueHD Now Listed as a Supported Format

Any update on this? Today I hooked up my Roku directly to my sound system, and the Roku showed DTS-HD as supported audio but not DTHD.

0 Kudos
home_theatre_ma
Level 9

A subsequent update removed all references to Dolby TrueHD from my Roku devices, so I assume at this point that adding DTHD to the audio menu was either a mistake or they decided not to do it.

0 Kudos
PabloAVG
Level 9

As long as they did add DTS HD passthrough, I'd be happy. Usually modern TV sets do support DTHD via eARC but not DTS HD, so having it on my Roku Stick would solve that problem. I'm currently waiting for the HDMI extender to arrive so I'll have to check later today.

0 Kudos
NLewis
Level 7

I've been futzing with this and I can report that I HAVE gotten Plex to play Dolby TrueHD 7.1 files from here with full 7.1 audio:
https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/

This is with the Roku Ultra model 4800X.

They show up on my AVR (Sony STR-DH720) as "Dolby D + 7.1" on the front display and all 7 speakers are lit up on the display.

There were 2 settings necessary to make this work:

1.  In the Sony AVR itself, there's an option in the HDMI settings menu (described on page 69 of the manual) called "Audio Out" which can be set to "AMP" or "TV+AMP".  This must be set to "AMP" otherwise the AVR will only advertise whatever the TV is capable of, which is "Stereo" in my case.  Once set to "AMP" the AVR will advertise everything it can do properly (DD+, DTS-HD, etc).  I suspect most AVRs have such a setting, scour your manual or settings for yours.

2. In the Roku Ultra Audio Settings, the HDMI mode must be set to "Auto passthrough".  If it is set to the default "Auto detect" then you will only get DD+ 5.1, not TrueHD 7.1 when playing files with Plex.

I've found DTS-HD/MA support less than stellar though.  I was NOT able to get the "DTS-HD MA 7.1" or "DTS-HD HR 7.1" files here https://thedigitaltheater.com/dts-trailers/ to show up as DTS-HD MA.  They are down-converted to Dolby Digital+ 5.1.  I have gotten these files to play through a Windows 10 laptop with Plex Media Player and pass through to the AVR where it shows "DTS-HD/MA" and 7.1 channels.

If I use the Roku Media Player with files on a USB drive, the Dolby Digital trailers do not have any audio output at all (!), and the DTS trailers show up as DTS 5.1 on my AVR.  So the Roku IS capable of passing through at least some DTS, but not DTS-HD/MA or DTS-HD/HR, despite indications here from a Roku rep that it should be possible.  

Even with Plex's Audio setting "Allow DTS-HD" enabled, I have not seen anything played from Plex show up as DTS on my AVR - everything is converted to DD+.  

0 Kudos
NLewis
Level 7

One minor update to the above - while playing the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 trailers via the Plex Roku App, my AVR indicated "DOLBY D + 7.1".  However, when played through a Windows 10 machine with Plex Media Player and everything set to passthrough, my AVR showed "DOLBY TRUEHD 7.1".  So the Roku (or Plex app for Roku?) is still doing some transcoding / compression.  

Personally I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference in a blind test, but I'm sure there's some people who could.  Those people should not be using Rokus, apparently. Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
PabloAVG
Level 9

Thanks for all the testing and report back!

0 Kudos