Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Roku Dolby TrueHD Now Listed as a Supported Format

@Jstro wrote:

I have the same problem, and ROKU support hasn´t been able to answer my Question. I see the DTHD sound, but I can´t get it via ROKU. Also, I don´t know if DTHD includes Dolby Atmos??

Dolby Atmos is supported by the Dolby EC-3 codec (also known as Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby E-AC-3) and is available from Roku on apps such as VUDU, Prime Video, and Movies Anywhere.  Netflix and Apple TV use the EC-3 codec, but do not support Atmos as this time.

Dolby Atmos is also supported by the Dolby TrueHD codec, and some Roku players now indicate they support TrueHD, but no one on this thread has found a Roku app yet that supports the TrueHD codec in any channel configuration (5.1, 7.1, or Atmos).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I just sent back a Streaming Stick+.  It absolutely will not provide, pass through, decode or do anything Atmos related.

Is seems clear to me, that it's the streaming service providers. 

Highlighted
Level 10

lucky you are able to return it 

Highlighted
Level 8

Thank you! Sadly I couldn´t return mine.....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

But before the latest firmware, passthrough was just great. Letting my VCR do the decoding was perfect. Was getting atmos via apple+ now my VCR won't even recognize the sound signal code properly, and consider it as unknown, although I tried all audio settings configuration.

@home_theatre_ma wrote:

@Jstro wrote:

I have the same problem, and ROKU support hasn´t been able to answer my Question. I see the DTHD sound, but I can´t get it via ROKU. Also, I don´t know if DTHD includes Dolby Atmos??

Dolby Atmos is supported by the Dolby EC-3 codec (also known as Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby E-AC-3) and is available from Roku on apps such as VUDU, Prime Video, and Movies Anywhere.  Netflix and Apple TV use the EC-3 codec, but do not support Atmos as this time.

Dolby Atmos is also supported by the Dolby TrueHD codec, and some Roku players now indicate they support TrueHD, but no one on this thread has found a Roku app yet that supports the TrueHD codec in any channel configuration (5.1, 7.1, or Atmos).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Here's the frustrating thing.

I've got a 4k projector,  a Denon AVR-X3600H and all high speed cables.

With the Roku, I can't get Atmos to stream w/ Netflix, Prime or Disney+.  I also can't get Atmos with these providers on my Firestick 4k.

I used to get it on Disney+ but that stopped.  Now the only way I can get Atmos from Netflix through my laptop, but only the Widows 10 App, not the browser version.

But somehow, all 3 providers say they support Atmos, and both the streaming stick+ and Firestick 4k say it as well.

This is beyond ridiculous. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

As of the most recent Roku OS update circa 26 October, my 4630X still lists "DTHD" (which I'm assuming stands for "Dolby TrueHD") as a supported format.  However, I am still unable to find an app (such as PLEX or RMP) that will output DTHD.  Just checking in to see if anyone else might have found something.

Quick clarification...the question of Dolby TrueHD support is separate from Dolby Atmos support.  TrueHD is a lossless audio compressor/codec, while Atmos is an immersive audio decoding/rendering format.  TrueHD released as a supported audio codec for HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc circa 2006.  It has been around much longer than Atmos (which released circa 2014) and was used for many 5.1 and 7.1 tracks on Blu-ray Disc.  TrueHD is not used by any streaming services; Atmos is.

Theoretically, if Roku supports TrueHD, then we should be able to play a file with TrueHD audio from a local server using one of the available media player apps.  However, this doesn't seem to be working.  I suppose we are still waiting on the apps to update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

With software 9.3 my Streaming Stick+ showed support for TrueHD and DTS.  After updating to 9.4 it shows DTS-HD as well.  But so far I am unable to play TrueHD from Plex.  On the Plex forums everybody says this is a hardware limitation, but this photo suggests otherwise.  Can anyone from Roku confirm this?

By the way, DTS-HD-MA does play from Plex but the soundbar identifies it as simply DTS.  This makes sense because DTS uses two layers for backwards compatibility.

08e083eeb574315911038a9aa1fbfc83742caa55_2_690x380.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Aaaand it's gone.

In the previous and current version, 9.4.0 Build 4190-29 (which arrived a few days later), both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD have disappeared, leaving only DD+ and DTS "detected".

Hardware: 4640RW (Ultra), 4630X (Premier+), 2 × 3500R (Stick) | Software: Android app
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yep I see this too in 9.4.0 build 4188-50.  Can someone from Roku team please comment?  I would love to have these audio formats working with Plex.

0 Kudos