Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbernard911
Level 7

Roku Device turning on TV's, burning up data

I currently have three of the newest Roku sticks, all connected to newer Samsung TV's. The problem I am having is that my TV's are randomly being turned on at night while I am sleeping, and when I wake up, the Roku screen saver is running and burning up data with my wireless satellite provider. I have the sticks connected straight to the TV via HDMI and using the TV's power source as well, in other words, not plugged into a wall outlet. Can any tell me why my TV's are turning back on randomly, and what I can do to fix this problem? 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
renojim
Level 21

Re: Roku Device turning on TV's, burning up data

I can't say why it's happening, but does the TV have a setting to power off the USB port when the TV is turned "off".  You can also try disabling "1-touch play" under Settings->System->Control other devices to see if it has any effect.

The screensaver shouldn't be using any data unless it's one that displays pictures or otherwise needs to download data.  Disable the screensaver or switch to one of the simple ones like the clock or logo rain.

You could also use a smart power strip and plug the stick's power adapter into that so that it's only powered on when the TV is on.  Note that quite a few people have reported problems when trying to power their Roku from a TV's USB port, so using the supplied power adapter is recommended.

0 Kudos