Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canada_Man
Level 7

Roku Device not being found when attempting to cast

I have a Samsung A51 phone.  When I attempt to cast from the Youtube app the Roku Express doesn't appear (a chromecast appears from time to time so I know devices show up).  I am able to use my phone as a remote and cast videos/photos that are stored on my phone so I know it recognizes my phone.  I have tried numerous actions to address this:

-Confirm they are on the same wifi

-Ensure everything is update

-Gone to wifi and turned on wifidirect (the device does appear when I do this but only under wi-fi direct and doesn't when I go to youtube app)

Any ideas on why the roku express doesn't appear?  I've also had a friend try to locate it under their phone and it doesn't appear as well

0 Kudos
1 Reply
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Device not being found when attempting to cast

You didnt mention your model # or firmware version (Settings/System/About)

YouTube uses DIAL for casting to Roku devices (WiFi Direct isnt at play here, but is used as a basis for Miracast-based mirroring, though not directly in terms of the UI)

Try:

1) Disable/re-enable WiFi on your phone - try again

2) Restart all devices (Roku/phone/modem/router/gateway) - try again

3) Switch Roku and/or phone WiFi from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz or vice versa (best accomplished with separate SSIDs for each band) - try again

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos