Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku DVR

Roku DVR

OK I/we have four TiVo's and we love them. They are all the Pro+ models that have both Antenna and Cable connections and six tuners.  I have upgraded them to have three terabyte drives so we can store many complete series on them GOT is an example.

We really want to cut the cord [Comcast] But as of yet nobody has come out with a really good replacement for our TiVo’s.

Here is what I would love to see: A dream Machine!

Roku DVR: What it needs is the ability to record anything that is being watched and called up from any of its app’s it should have a minimum of six tuners, one to five megabytes of ram for buffering, at least one terabyte of built-in SSD that can be used to store complete shows which are recorded PLUS room to add a HD of unlimited size I think currently 16TB is the largest available. Multiple ports two USB 3.x to connect external HD’s USB thumb drives to copy to<->from two or more HDMI ports to TV’s or monitors, Antenna connection for OTA.   Ability to network with other local Roku’s [ultras, etc]. so they can see and play recorded shows, videos, etc. on the Roku DVR like we can with our TiVo’s.

All of these should easy to do. If I was younger and had the capital I would build them myself but being in my seventies it is not practical to start myself.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 14

Re: Roku DVR

Roku's are purely streaming (or TV's with built-in streaming.) What you are describing can be done with a computer and tuner cards. It'll probably cost more than the Tivo's.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku DVR

Sure there are ways to do it today but not very user friendly. 

Roku's are very user friendly! 

The Cost for what I described should be very minimal. Hardware you are looking at case,Mother board, ports, ROM [if smart at least double the size needed to start for firmware upgrades], RAM, SSD, etc.

I would bet they would sell like hotcakes if they did not get greedy.

0 Kudos