Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramyers87
Reel Rookie

Roku Crashing Repeatedly…

Roku crashes when I try to launch any channel. Tried unplugging for 15 minutes with no improvement. Verified software up to date. Is my box just dead?

Roku Ultra

Model #: 4670X

Software: 10.0.0.4209

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Crashing Repeatedly…

Thanks for providing your device info.  I wish everyone would do that.

Please describe what you mean by "crashes".

These things are just special purpose computers, and just like their big brothers, sometimes operational problems cans be solved by a system restart.  From the Roku home screen use menu path Settings > System > System restart.  (On a Roku TV the menu path is Settings > System > Power > System restart.)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
ramyers87
Reel Rookie

the channel starts to launch never gets past the first screen, then goes black and I get the dancing Roku letters. Has happened at least a dozen times, with no successful launches. I have tried a system restart and unplugging the device.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Now that's a crash.  I would try the "clear the cache" procedure - press Home 5 times, followed by Up arrow once, Rewind (<<) twice, and FF (>>) twice.  If done properly your Roku will restart on its own.  Check for updates from Settings->System->System update after it restarts.  If that doesn't help, I think the only other option is a factory reset.  I don't suppose you have another power adapter of the same model you can try?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
LadyLizzie13
Binge Watcher

Mine too. It worked perfectly yesterday. I even checked for updates (there aren't any) and restarted.  I am so very unhappy. As one who been dealing with this jacked up Roku since the 10.5 update but learned to live it now it's unusable?  Does anyone have other ideas to fix it?  

0 Kudos
LadyLizzie13
Binge Watcher

I just tried this and it took me to the "about section.  Yes have checked for updates, yes have restarted, even did the HTCP error reset Trick to no avail.  

HA!  In a moment of temper I tried the HTCP reset steps again and now it works again!  Haha! Nothing but trouble since the 10.5 update!

0 Kudos
Kather

What are htpc reset steps?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Kather

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify your inquiry?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DinoSaw
Reel Rookie

I'm having the exact same issue on my Roku Premiere (Model 3920EU, Software version 11, Build 4193-91). Please someone help!! 

The issue:

Every time I try to open an app/channel a loading screen appears. The loading screen hangs there until the Roku eventually crashes and begins to boot again (dancing Roku letters eventually leading to the home screen). 

Here's what I've tried to fix it so far:

1. Restarting

2. Uninstalling/reinstall channels (with a reboot in-between) 

3. Completely factory resetting

4. Adjusting display resolution

5. Clearing the cache (home button x5, upx1, <<x2, >>x2) 

6. Changing the power supply (currently using a 2.5a usb PSU) 

7. Changing cables

8. Unplugging and replugging cables

9. Selling my soul to an agent of the underworld (no takers yet, will let you know how that plays out) 

Any other suggestions, or is my Roku simply dead? 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @DinoSaw

Thanks for letting us know all that you've done.

Please reply here with the device ID of the affected Roku device. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself. I'll be able to further assist you from there.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos