Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobie

Roku Audo Guide digital voice

Jump to solution

Somehow I activated a digital voice that describes the program I am watching and tells me how long it is, etc.. This activates every time another program comes on and every time I change channels. How can I keep this from happening?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: digital voice

Jump to solution

@Hobie  Press the * key on your remote 4 times quickly. This will disable the 'Audio Guide'. You can also disable this from the Settings menu in Settings>Accessibility>Audio Guide

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: digital voice

Jump to solution

@Hobie  Press the * key on your remote 4 times quickly. This will disable the 'Audio Guide'. You can also disable this from the Settings menu in Settings>Accessibility>Audio Guide

Thanks,

Tanner

Robotic voice

Jump to solution
Somehow a robotic voice came along and tells me how many minutes are left of the video and introduces me to the channel That I selected in keeps bragging on about stuff and it just driving me nuts how do I get rid of it
0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

Re: Robotic voice

Jump to solution

Which Channel are you watching?

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Robotic voice

Jump to solution

It was probably turned on by pressing * option key 4 times, that how you turn it off as well, or;

Go into Settings> Accessibility> Audio Guide> Off

I would turn off the short cut, which is pressing * 4 times, to turn it off:

Settings> Accessibility> Shortcut> Disable

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Carlofam

Re: HELP! Roku won't stop talking

Jump to solution
Can you help me?! My Roku was fine and all of a sudden my son has the remote and now the audio guide is OFF so it doesn’t speak on everything it just speaks when volume is used? “Audio off” when we mute it and every time we turn it up or down it said “volume 9-10-volume 12” it’s so annoying and in the middle of watching tv for awhile it will start talking randomly I tried to listen closely and it says something with Netflix “still watching Netflix” and a bunch of other jibber jabber? If audio guide is off how do I change this?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HELP! Roku won't stop talking

Jump to solution

@Carlofam wrote:
Can you help me?! My Roku was fine and all of a sudden my son has the remote and now the audio guide is OFF so it doesn’t speak on everything it just speaks when volume is used? “Audio off” when we mute it and every time we turn it up or down it said “volume 9-10-volume 12” it’s so annoying and in the middle of watching tv for awhile it will start talking randomly I tried to listen closely and it says something with Netflix “still watching Netflix” and a bunch of other jibber jabber? If audio guide is off how do I change this?

Same thing that's already been covered here. Press the * button quickly four times. Then go into the settings and disable the voice assist shortcut so it can't be enabled again with the remote button.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Debra55

Female voice commentator

Jump to solution

I keep hearing a female commentator on my roku. She just started talking and I cant figure out how to get rid of her robotic voice. Any help? I've had roku for one month, and out of nowhere, this female starts talking.  

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Female voice commentator

Jump to solution

@Debra55 

Thanks for the inquiry.

What you're most likely experiencing is the Roku audio guide. Audio Guide can be turned on or off by pressing the star button * on the Roku remote four times quickly.

For more information regarding the audio guide, visit our Support page here: How do I enable text-to-speech using Audio Guide?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Link74

Feature for the blind

Jump to solution

I have a voice saying everything I'm doing on my roku Express. Like when I'm surfing through the streaming services. It says what streaming service I'm on and the number. Like if I choose YouTube and it's the 5th one. It says app number 5. How on earth do I turn this off?! By the way,I might have my Amazon Echo Dot connected to my Roku Express. But I don't know for sure.

0 Kudos