Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jkimrey
Level 7

Roku 8.1 Update

Does anyone know if it's possible to "force" an update?

Still waiting (impatiently) for 8.1! Smiley Happy

Thanks
0 Kudos
56 Replies
2pints
Level 7

Re: Roku 8.1 Update

As far as i know, its just a case of sitting and waiting, as the firmware rolls out slowly over time.
 Unlike other devices, I have not seen any firmware downloads, or even flashing tools/options for Roku devices, so do it yourself firmware updates/downgrades do not appear to be possible
0 Kudos
iFrog
Level 8

Be glad you haven't gotten the update yet.  I have a Premiere+ from 2016 that updated, and ever since it's had issues with going to sleep, and now randomly waking up.  My setup hasn't changed, and I'm not really able  to track the exact problem.  All I can tell is it has something to do with HDMI, and something keeping it active, even though on the surface it's not doing anything..

Didn't have this issue on 8.0.1 build 4090.
0 Kudos
jsmiddleton4
Level 7

I’m in no hurry to get it.  Would like the new firmware to finally fix, go back to the working code of FW 7.x.x.x, for my TV and hold the 2160 resolution.  But over all, not in any hurry and not counting on a fix.

It is interesting that we are at the place in the FW release cycle that despite the issues already being reported the fan boys are defending 8.1 as being without issue, at least criticizing those who point out folks are having problems.

Same cycle every FW release.  Once enough folks actually get the FW that the volume that is associated with issues gets loud enough to drown out the fan boys, they and their accusations fall silent. 

Same lack of transparency by ROKU as well.
0 Kudos
iFrog
Level 8

"jsmiddleton4" wrote:
I’m in no hurry to get it.  Would like the new firmware to finally fix, go back to the working code of FW 7.x.x.x, for my TV and hold the 2160 resolution.  But over all, not in any hurry and not counting on a fix.

It is interesting that we are at the place in the FW release cycle that despite the issues already being reported the fan boys are defending 8.1 as being without issue, at least criticizing those who point out folks are having problems.

Same cycle every FW release.  Once enough folks actually get the FW that the volume that is associated with issues gets loud enough to drown out the fan boys, they and their accusations fall silent. 

Same lack of transparency by ROKU as well.

I was able to roll back my Premiere+  to 8.0.1 build 4090, and it's stable again.  I also posted a new thread in the developer section addressing the ROKU staff with the video I took of my ROKU acting out under the new update.
0 Kudos
jsmiddleton4
Level 7

Good work.  Not all that confident ROKU will do anything about it though.
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 7

I don't want any new firmware updates. Not eager to have new versions break functions that work correctly now, because that's all that ever happens when a new update is released, Roku never tests properly before releasing.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 9

What is the big deal about 8.1 that people are clamoring for?
0 Kudos
iFrog
Level 8

"Heyitsrick" wrote:

The only thing I saw it did for me was allow me to use HDR with the ROKU on a port that only supports HDR@30.  I have a TV with 4 ports all HDCP 2.2 compliant and all do 4K@60.  Only 2 do HDR@60 and 2 do HDR@30.  So having that ability was nice since I have more important devices then the ROKU on the other 2 ports.
With the bugs and instability I had though, I rolled back and that function seems to be gone now.  I personally want stable devices over features.  That's why I have multiple devices.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 9

"iFrog" wrote:
"Heyitsrick" wrote:

The only thing I saw it did for me was allow me to use HDR with the ROKU on a port that only supports HDR@30.  I have a TV with 4 ports all HDCP 2.2 compliant and all do 4K@60.  Only 2 do HDR@60 and 2 do HDR@30.  So having that ability was nice since I have more important devices then the ROKU on the other 2 ports.
With the bugs and instability I had though, I rolled back and that function seems to be gone now.  I personally want stable devices over features.  That's why I have multiple devices.

But if the content is meant to be delivered  at HDR @60 (e.g. Netflix, etc.), then I don't see the usefulness.
0 Kudos