Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Del81
Level 7

Roku 4k streaming stick and auto detect display type issue

Jump to solution

I have a Roku 4k streaming stick connected to my 4k TV using a high quality HDMI extender.

I've a question about the 'Auto detect display type' feature on the Roku. It obviously detects the highest resolution and frame rate suitable for the TV when you run it. Does it keep on running in the background so it is constantly adjusting the Roku for the differing resolution of the content being played or does it just run the one time?

I ask this because as when I come to switch my TV on in the mornings after it has been off overnight my TV detects the Roku as only being in 1080 resolution when the auto detect has correctly identified it as in 4k resolution earlier. I have the screensaver enabled and this only occurs when the TV has been in standby for several hours. 

Does anyone know why this is happening? I also have a Amazon Fire Stick connected to another HDMI socket on the same TV and the issue does not occur with this device

I suppose it may be best for me to simply select the display type manually to 4k? Would there be any issues with doing this as non 4k content could be forced to display at a higher resolution than it normally would?

I don't think this issue is related to any recent firmware updates.

Thanks for your help here!

Del

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku 4k streaming stick and auto detect display type issue

Jump to solution
Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Please try performing a system update in Settings>System>System update>Check now

Once you've performed the update, try changing your display type back to Auto in Settings>Display type

Please let us know if this helps clear up the issue.

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies

Jump to solution

I've been having the same exact issue with the 9.2 update. I factory reset the which did help a bit. But now every once in a while I have to reboot the Roku to to make 4K work again. However the problem eventually comes back. I waiting for a new update soon if not I will be replacing the Roku with another product.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Please try performing a system update in Settings>System>System update>Check now

Once you've performed the update, try changing your display type back to Auto in Settings>Display type

Please let us know if this helps clear up the issue.

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Del81
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi

It's interesting that someone else is having this same problem! I have now done a reset and I have definitely got the latest updates but the issue still persists. It may indeed have occurred since the update to the version 9 software.

While I still have this issue is it best for me to select the display type manually to 4k instead of using the auto detect display type function? Are there any problems with manually setting the display type?

Thanks for your help with this.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Del81  Did performing a manual system update on your device, then changing your display type back to 'Auto' in Settings>Display type help clear up the issue?

If not, what specific make/model of TV are you using? Is your Roku device connected directly to your TV, or to an A/V receiver of any sort? If so, what is the specific make/model of your receiver as well? 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Del81
Level 7

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD wrote:

@Del81  Did performing a manual system update on your device, then changing your display type back to 'Auto' in Settings>Display type help clear up the issue?

If not, what specific make/model of TV are you using? Is your Roku device connected directly to your TV, or to an A/V receiver of any sort? If so, what is the specific make/model of your receiver as well? 

Thanks,

Tanner

Thanks for your help with this. I have a JVC 4k TV and the Roku was connected to it using a high quality HDMI extender. The problem still persisted even though the firmware is the latest version and I have rebooted the Roku several times.
I have just now plugged the Roku directly into one of the TV's HDMI sockets and I will see what happens with the display resolution over the next few days.

If this doesn't work are there any downsides to setting the display resolution manually?

0 Kudos
Del81
Level 7

Jump to solution

There still seems to be some issues present with the display resolution when I insert the Roku directly into the TV.

Maybe I should just manually set the resolution to the highest level? Would this cause any issues with lower resolution content?

0 Kudos
Del81
Level 7

Jump to solution

After the latest update (4750) on the 4k stick this issue seems to have been resolved.

With the auto detect display feature enabled my 4k stick now seems to keep on the correct display resolution for my television.

0 Kudos
MrBinary
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have a streaming stick and just bought an ultra, both don't work hooked up to LG tv through Onkyo amp, fire stick has no problem.

0 Kudos