Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jerdonald
Reel Rookie

Roku 4K DVR streamer player with a tv tuner

Jump to solution

Roku forum,
I'm "cutting the chord" and will use one of the Roku boxes. I also have
an antenna that is bringing in 40 local channels. I happened onto this web
site that says Roku has a 4K HDR streaming player with a built-in TV tuner.
Has anyone ever seen one of these? Does it actually exist?

Here's the web site.
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1509082759

jerdonald

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 4K DVR streamer player with a tv tuner

Jump to solution

@jerdonald 

Roku doesn't make devices with tuners. That link goes to a 4-year-old article about some device in Australia that claimed to run Roku software. Roku doesn't sell devices in Australia, never has. Roku is officially unsupported there. The person quoted in the article left Roku over 2 1/2 years ago.

If you want more information about whatever that device was, I'd suggest following up with that Website, or the company mentioned in the article.

Now, there are devices in the US that have TV tuners and run Roku software. Those are Roku TVs. Roku doesn't make them, but they do supply the software to those TV manufacturers. They are actual TVs with built-in Roku software. https://www.roku.com/products/roku-tv

There are devices you can add to your network that have TV tuners that allow you to watch over the air (OTA) TV from any Roku device. I've used Tablo and Air TV, and they both work well. There are other devices that also work on Roku, but I haven't used them. Others may be able to offer information about them.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes, it exists, its called a Roku TV - and you can get one from many TV manufacturers.

Otherwise, the device you see mentioned in that article from 2017 isnt available in the US - now or then.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@jerdonald 

Roku doesn't make devices with tuners. That link goes to a 4-year-old article about some device in Australia that claimed to run Roku software. Roku doesn't sell devices in Australia, never has. Roku is officially unsupported there. The person quoted in the article left Roku over 2 1/2 years ago.

If you want more information about whatever that device was, I'd suggest following up with that Website, or the company mentioned in the article.

Now, there are devices in the US that have TV tuners and run Roku software. Those are Roku TVs. Roku doesn't make them, but they do supply the software to those TV manufacturers. They are actual TVs with built-in Roku software. https://www.roku.com/products/roku-tv

There are devices you can add to your network that have TV tuners that allow you to watch over the air (OTA) TV from any Roku device. I've used Tablo and Air TV, and they both work well. There are other devices that also work on Roku, but I haven't used them. Others may be able to offer information about them.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
GRT

Jump to solution

I wish it did exist!  The Roku TVs mentioned are nice, but I really want to keep my Sony & LG TVs (which have Roku devices connected to them).  If they made a Roku player (not TV) with a built in tuner, I'D BUY IT!

Davesrave

Jump to solution

Why is that such a difficult solution?  Many people want it...