Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yara_Greyjoy
Level 7

Roku 4 stuck in endless reboot loop !

My Roku 4 is stuck in a loop just endlessly rebooting, over and over!

I have no idea WTF happened, I was gone all day and when I came home discovered that the internet was down, no idea how long it had been down.
I turned on my other Rokus (3) to watch TV (I have Vue and Sling and other services) and they were all giving me error messages.
Checked another one and same thing.  Hmm..  Started checking other stuff and found the internet completely down with my modem rebooting in a loop.

Turned on the Roku 4 in my hobby room and found it to be stuck in a look rebooting over and over, just that ANNOYING stupid jingle and the ANNOYING stupid toe tapping animation for about a minute then reboot and repeat, endlessly.

I pulled the power supply to the Roku from the wall and left it for a few hours.  About 4 hours later I check and the internet is working again but when I plugged the Roku 4 back in, same stupid loop.

No messages, just the STUPID MUSIC AND STUPID TOE TAPPING then a black screen and repeat!!

I pulled the power cord a few times, to no avail.  I read online that you can hold the reset button for 20 seconds then pull the power cord and it will factory reset.  NOPE.

So I suspect that their SUPID UPDATE that everyone is complaining about happened when they internet went out here and it BROKE my Roku !

NOW I CAN NOT WATCH TV IN MY HOBBY ROOM WHICH IS WHERE I SPEND ALL MY TIME!

NEEDLESS TO SAY I AM FURIOUS !!!!!!!!!!

I've had this Roku 4 for about two years and when I left this morning it was working and now it's completely BROKEN!

THIS IS YOUR FAULT ROKU !!  

If you broke my Roku I can assure you that I will get rid of ALL my Rokus and find another solution !

Oh and to answer the stupid questions ahead of time, I replaced the ethernet cable, (I don't use WIFI !)  I also unplugged it from my router and plugged it directly into the back of my modem which is a terrible security risk but I figured I would give the brain dead STUPID ROKU a chance to phone home without the hindrance of my hardware firewall (PFSense). I'm not stupid so don't tell me to do the stupid things, I did all those things first.  

Roku broke my device and I"m P****D OFF !!
0 Kudos
27 Replies
renojim
Level 8

Re: Roku 4 stuck in endless reboot loop !

You didn't do the factory reset properly. With it plugged in, hold in the reset button for at least 30 seconds ignoring anything happening on the screen.
0 Kudos
Yara_Greyjoy
Level 7

No change at all.  Still does exactly the same thing.  Sits about 2 minutes on the stupid startup screen with no text messages displaying and unresponsive to the remote then black screen and repeat.

I held the reset button for 30 seconds.
Then I held it for 45 seconds.
Then I held it for 60 seconds.
Then I unplugged all the cables, held the button for 30 seconds and pulled the power cord.
Then I unplugged all the cables, held the button for 45 seconds and pulled the power cord.
Then I unplugged all the cables, held the button for 60 seconds and pulled the power cord.

It responds to NOTHING.  

It's dead Jim.

Roku better make this right!  
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

If an internet connection is lax during an update process (ie, you have a bad hop to the mothership), the updated software can sometimes become corrupt.  Sort of like if you're trying to download a file on your PC and you have a bad hope and can't open and/or install a file you just downloaded due to corruption.  It's entirely dependent on your ISP, your connection to the internet, and all computers in between you and Roku.

My best advice at this point is to contact Customer Service and generate a CaseID (be sure to ask for it and write it down).  Then email that to me so I can keep tabs on it and elevate it if necessary.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Yara_Greyjoy
Level 7

And in the meantime I can not watch TV while I play phone footsie with Roku.  For, how long?  A week?  Two weeks?

Wait, when does the new Apple TV come out?
0 Kudos
Yara_Greyjoy
Level 7

See, this is why I DO NOT WANT mandatory updates that run without conformation or chance to review first!!

This is why I turned my back forever on Windows in 2001.  I refuse to use windows and NEVER, EVER WILL AGAIN.  

I still have two roku 3's in other parts of my house and I'm going to find out where they connect to for updates and block that in my firewall from happening.

This thing probably tried to update when I was gone all day not using it and when the internet went out, so did it.

That's not going to happen ever again.  Believe me, I will find a way to block automatic updates.

And I'm still FURIOUS!  And a furious woman is no friend of yours.
0 Kudos
Yara_Greyjoy
Level 7

Wait until you see what I write on Amazon about this..
0 Kudos
destruk
Level 10

Sometimes my Roku4 doesn't boot up successfully.  Unplugging, waiting a few minutes, plugging it back in, and being patient - eventually it will come back up.  It could be any number of issues, but it's just not quite that important to me.  When it does boot up it works for what I use it for.  It's a good thing it's an 'always on device' so this trouble isn't seen often.  Mainly I use our roku3's and those work better than this one.
0 Kudos
Yara_Greyjoy
Level 7

I left it unplugged for 8 hours then plugged it in again 2 hours ago and it's still in the endless reboot loop.

This Roku 4 has been rendered to TRASH BY ROKU pushing an update without first asking me to accept/confirm it !!

I will not be kind with my words on Amazon when I review this.
0 Kudos
Buster_Brown
Level 7

Important;  unplug devices from the TVs USB ports as a quick check to see if that is the issue causing the endless reboots.  Here is what we discovered; we intentionally unplugged our TCL Roku 55" from power to avoid electrical damage from a storm.  When we connected it back to power, it began the dreaded "reboot loop back" being described here.  Factory resets and plugging into other outlets and many other attempts to address capacitance issues failed to remedy the problem.  The fix action in this case ended up being incredibly simple;  we simply unplugged our Arctis 7 wireless headset puck from the USB port on the back of the TV.  The second I unplugged it it immediately stopped the endless reboot cycle. This is something we can duplicate.  I suspect that activity on the USB ports is what causes the TV to wig out and keep rebooting.  Perhaps this problem might also be possible to have from signals on HDMI ports as well but in our case it was only the USB headset issue causing it, we left everything else plugged in.  So gamers and others that utilize the USB port on your Roku sets (especially the TCL TV), you might want to try this before calling in a repairman or hauling it back to the store. 
0 Kudos