Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Miami_Son
Level 8

Roku 4 a good choice?

Looking for something that will give me a wired ethernet connection and a way to connect to my receiver for the rare times I want surround sound audio (like watching Netflix or Prime movies). The Ultra only has multi-channel sound via HDMI, so that's out. Found the 4 and even though it is older it has what I want. Only problem is I have read a few issues with the fan noise on the 4 and that it runs hot. Anyone can confirm or deny these are issues I should be concerned about or any others? Thanks.
0 Kudos
18 Replies
twiceover
Level 11

Re: Roku 4 a good choice?

I imagine you want Optical audio then.  Personally I'd just get a splitter that has optical audio out rather than buy older technology.  There's several that do this at Monoprice.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 9

If what you want is multichannel audio to an older (non hdmi, non DD+) receiver, you will probably want the 2016 Ultra model 4640.
It is the only Roku with optical out and built in ability to transcode DD+ to DD. Netflix and Amazon, and others only send multichannel audio with DD+ so you will need something to convert it to DD for your receiver. The 4640 is the only Roku player that will do that. A simple hdmi to optical splitter won't help because it won't convert DD+ to DD.
0 Kudos
Miami_Son
Level 8

My Onkyo receiver can handle anything I throw at it, including DD+ and HD-audio formats. All the 2016 Ultras I am finding are either refurbished (no thanks) or ridiculously priced. I have an HDMI splitter, so maybe that is a workable option and I can just get a new Ultra. Thanks. First time an actual Roku rep has responded to one of my posts or comments. Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

While the 4 is still a respectable performer, I agree that moving to the 2016 version of the Ultra would be better. You get everything the 4 had, no fan (although I could never hear the fan in mine) plus 4K HDR support. Also, if you stream any local media, the Ultra supports H.262 video, while the 4 does not. And as I said, the only way I ever heard the fan in mine was to pick it up and stick my ear right next to it. Even then it was just a whisper. 
My  personal suggestion is it's time for an AVR update to support HDMI audio. One less cable to run/become disconnected and who knows what audio support Roku might add in the future. My newest Yamaha supports 4K/HDR and all of the audio codecs, and I paid less than $300 for it. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and update!  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

I have ZERO problems ordering a 'refurbished' unit from Amazon. Just bought a 'refurbished' Ultra (4660R). Was skeptical, but not because it was a 'refurb'. I'm skeptical about Roku ever since the 7.7 Firmware Debacle. I'm not unhappy or disappointed however in this Ultra.

Amazon's return policy is bulletproof and 'refurb' units are just units that got returned because they were the wrong color (any color you want - as long as it's black), or something. They can't sell as 'new', so I'll happily buy them 'barely used'. Of the 4 Roku units I have, 1 was new and a gift (Roku 2 HD), all the others are 'refurb' units from Amazon.

If the worst happens - Amazon's return policy is bulletproof.

I'd feel a heck of a lot better about Amazon's Refurb Unit than I would about ANY Roku 4. Those things were a bad idea then and they're still a bad idea. They things were in the process of being replaced before the first one was ever sold.
0 Kudos
Miami_Son
Level 8

"atc98092" wrote:
My  personal suggestion is it's time for an AVR update to support HDMI audio. One less cable to run/become disconnected and who knows what audio support Roku might add in the future. My newest Yamaha supports 4K/HDR and all of the audio codecs, and I paid less than $300 for it. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and update!  Smiley Very Happy

My Onkyo supports anything I throw at it, including HD audio. I tried an Ultra 4 months ago and returned it when I discovered it did not support audio passthrough. I remember you were the one that helped me with that issue. Does the new Ultra support passthrough?
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"Miami Son" wrote:
My Onkyo receiver can handle anything I throw at it, including DD+ and HD-audio formats.

If your AVR doesn't have HDMI, then it won't support HD-audio formats. HD formats (DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD) are HDMI only (Roku doesn't passthru them anyways, so no need to debate this point). DD+ only works up to a certain bitrate on optical and I think Roku output is higher than supported. You need the Ultra that does the decoding of DD+.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Miami Son" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

My Onkyo supports anything I throw at it, including HD audio. I tried an Ultra 4 months ago and returned it when I discovered it did not support audio passthrough. I remember you were the one that helped me with that issue. Does the new Ultra support passthrough?

No, Roku still doesn't support Lossless audio. But from your description above it sounds like your Onkyo doesn't have HDMI. Or is the issue it doesn't have HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2? 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Miami_Son
Level 8

"atc98092" wrote:
"Miami Son" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

No, Roku still doesn't support Lossless audio. But from your description above it sounds like your Onkyo doesn't have HDMI. Or is the issue it doesn't have HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2? 

My Onkyo has HDMI and supports all the codecs I use for my MKV BD-disc rips and other content. I don't always want surround sound when I watch TV, so an optical out seemed like a good compromise. Having to always go through the AVR to watch TV is a pain for my tech-challenged wife even though I have a Harmony 1 remote that runs everything. She's afraid to touch it. LOL Think I will pickup a 2016 Ultra as I doubt Roku will ever come out with one that supports audio passthrough. Thanks.
0 Kudos