Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CEG
Level 8

Re: Roku 4 a good choice?

I'm just putting out my comments on the 4 for prosperity. Smiley LOL Actually, there might be a few people still interested in the 4.  I suspect there are a number still registered with Roku.

I discovered something interesting last night about the 4's design.  Since I bought mine used, I decided just for the heck of it to flip it over and vacuum out the air vents.  When I looked closely at the "vents" I found that one side is really mostly not a vent.  It's mostly just a pattern matching the vent on the other side.  There is a small opening on the side, but it occurred me to think that, well maybe I just discovered a/the reason the fan in it is not very efficient.  Wonder who decided fake the air vent?

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 16

Under Settings/System/System temperature, there is a 'Run Cooler' checkbox. You can uncheck it to have the fan run less often.

0 Kudos
CEG
Level 8

Hey, thanks for the reply!  I had already discovered that one.  Just now, just for fun I enabled it and will uncheck it later when the fan starts up maybe to trick the system.  In the secret screen the fan detail has mode and in my case 5.  I suspect support knows a shortcut to change that mode, which might make the fun run less often, but that's just a guess.  I really think there are about as many levels of fan issues as there are Roku 4's. Smiley Happy It's a great box.  The fan thing doesn't ruin it now that I can have it turn off at TV sleep or after 30 minutes.

Update:  Bearing in mind the 4 is idling on the home screen, when I checked after a few minutes the fan was off.  Of course, if I check the system is likely just at 55 C, but it is interesting that the fan responded.  I am beginning to think Roku never intended to create a silent player, though I have seen reviews that claim they can't hear their fans.  I'm skeptical about that.

0 Kudos
CEG
Level 8

I decided to take advantage of a Christmas gift card to BestBuy and the sale price and bought a 2019 Ultra.  The Ultra, of course, works perfectly, though is not as interesting as the four year old 4 that works extremely well for four year old tech.  Of course, the fan noise aside.

I decided to post a comment, because I looked in the secret screen after watching 1080P content for an hour and the Ultra was at 82 degrees. The Roku is not putting out a lot of heat at all that you can feel getting up close to it.  I guess Roku decided that it's OK to run that hot without a fan.  Maybe the chip is capable of running hotter than was the chip in the 4.  It is interesting.  I will probably sell the 4, though I'm tempted to keep it just for its "coolness." Smiley Very Happy  I do have two other TV's.

0 Kudos
Davidgwynn14
Level 7

I bought a roku ultra about 4 months ago and it's overheating like crazy. It was fine until the last update, but I don't understand why that would be making it overheat. My only thought was, that there are no air vents on the case. Reading your post about the 4 and it having a fan and some air vents, makes me question why not do that with the new device? I have looked online and found that people are actually drilling holes to make air vents and the using a mini fan that connects via usb, to cool it down. I have taken the roku apart and drilled holes into the top area to release some heat, it is at 77 c now, at overheating it was 99 c. I  will see how this goes today and if all goes well, I'll repost here. I may get the fan to help, just because 77 c is very hot to begin with. Don't understand the logic that roku has put into it's new model.

@CEG wrote:

Hey, thanks for the reply!  I had already discovered that one.  Just now, just for fun I enabled it and will uncheck it later when the fan starts up maybe to trick the system.  In the secret screen the fan detail has mode and in my case 5.  I suspect support knows a shortcut to change that mode, which might make the fun run less often, but that's just a guess.  I really think there are about as many levels of fan issues as there are Roku 4's. Smiley Happy It's a great box.  The fan thing doesn't ruin it now that I can have it turn off at TV sleep or after 30 minutes.

Update:  Bearing in mind the 4 is idling on the home screen, when I checked after a few minutes the fan was off.  Of course, if I check the system is likely just at 55 C, but it is interesting that the fan responded.  I am beginning to think Roku never intended to create a silent player, though I have seen reviews that claim they can't hear their fans.  I'm skeptical about that.

0 Kudos
CEG
Level 8

My story with the 4 I bought for fun ended up in a replacement from Roku of a brand new Ultra. I thought they were going to send a new old stock of the 4, but they sent the Ultra.  I was a little disappointed at first because the 4 is kind of unique, but in the long run the Ultra is a better deal.  I now have two 2019 Ultra's and they both run hotter at idle than did the 4, but they seem to manage the heat better and are not warm to the touch or radiating much warmth. The 4 would run at 55 degrees at first and then heat up to about 65 and the fan would run ... and run. I think the hardware in the 2019 Ultra is capable of operating at higher temps than was the hardware in the 4, so it gets the same job done without a fan.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Davidgwynn14 

Thanks for reaching out. The Roku 4 is one of our older models, and hasn't been sold for a number of years. 

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

If that doesn't seem to resolve the issue, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About. I'll follow up directly to assist you more from there!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos