Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku 4 - No Apple Airplay and HomeKit?

Just noticed that Roku has been updating mostly all of their devices to OS 10. I find it weird that Roku 4, which is like the Ultra, was not updated with Apple Airplay and HomeKit while our Roku 3 and Roku stick 3600 got it.

Any ideas why?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku 4 - No Apple Airplay and HomeKit?

Except it is not like the Ultra or any other Roku - it has a unique SoC (processor) that no other model has and though it has 4K, it lacks the HDR that every other 4K model has.

https://support.roku.com/article/360057488733

This is also true for the Apple TV app - it also isnt supported on the Roku 4 for the same reason:

https://support.roku.com/article/360036652634

As for the actual reason, it could be related to the fact that the chipmaker is defunct and its intellectual property (IP) is in limbo/contested; or it could be that Apple doesnt want to support 4K without HDR; or it could be that something unique to how its processor handles 4K/data processing isnt something Apple wanted to provide special coding for, etc.

CraigList90
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your response and for sharing the links.

The only thing that makes sense is that Roku 4's chipmaker being defunct and its intellectual property (IP) being in limbo/contested.

I am hoping that they can provide a specific answer as to why Roku 4 has been excluded from their list   (or if they already did, where can I find that information). IMHO, Roku 4 has better specs than Roku 2, 3 and their older streaming sticks which are capable of 1080p resolution only.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@CraigList90 wrote:

Thanks for your response and for sharing the links.

The only thing that makes sense is that Roku 4's chipmaker being defunct and its intellectual property (IP) being in limbo/contested.

I am hoping that they can provide a specific answer as to why Roku 4 has been excluded from their list   (or if they already did, where can I find that information). IMHO, Roku 4 has better specs than Roku 2, 3 and their older streaming sticks which are capable of 1080p resolution only.

Apple never has, and Roku also hasn't attempted any explanation (they of course deflect/defer to Apple as the app developer/publisher), but at least Apple's lack of support for the Roku 4 is consistent.

Considering the ATV app was released in late 2019, I dont think Apple is ever going to support the Roku 4 or provide any explanation as to why not, at least officially/publicly.

Its probably best to look towards upgrading/replacing the Roku 4 (that's my recommendation, and what I would do).

CraigList90
Reel Rookie

It's not a huge deal breaker as we have Roku Ultra and Streaming Stick+, which are capable of 4K HDR, as well.

I was just hoping that they more upfront about the reason for excluding Roku 4 which is one of my fave Roku models.   Thanks again.

0 Kudos