Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lvporta
Level 7

Roku 3800 or 3800+

I currently have a 3600 stick.  Is it worthwhile going to a 3800 or 3800+?  Also, I have a linksys E2500 router.  Will the 3800's work with that old router?.  TIA for your replies

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Roku 3800 or 3800+

"lvporta" wrote:
I currently have a 3600 stick.  Is it worthwhile going to a 3800 or 3800+?  Also, I have a linksys E2500 router.  Will the 3800's work with that old router?.  TIA for your replies

There's no real reason to upgrade unless you're having issues with the 3600, or otherwise want functionality that the 3600 doesn't have. 
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku 3800 or 3800+

I agree. I use my 3600 every time I travel, and it works just fine. In fact, it works better (more powerful, less delay when pressing buttons) than the small Insignia Roku TV I have that's at least a year newer. Unless you need 4K support, or feel that the reported improved wireless radio is worth the update, there's no other compelling reason I can think of to update. 
.
All Sticks, including yours and the latest versions, support 5 GHz wireless, so that in itself is not a reason to update. The new Sticks support 802.11AC, and the remote includes voice search. That and a faster quad core processor are the significant changes from the 3600.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
lvporta
Level 7

Re: Roku 3800 or 3800+

The new Sticks support 802.11AC

and I don't have that kind of router....so as long as I have an older router, I will stay put.  Thanks
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Roku 3800 or 3800+

"lvporta" wrote:
The new Sticks support 802.11AC

and I don't have that kind of router....so as long as I have an older router, I will stay put.  Thanks


Yeah, no need to get more than you need.. the 3800 is good for your needs.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
lvporta
Level 7

Re: Roku 3800 or 3800+

"jeffrok" wrote:
"lvporta" wrote:
The new Sticks support 802.11AC

and I don't have that kind of router....so as long as I have an older router, I will stay put.  Thanks


Yeah, no need to get more than you need.. the 3800 is good for your needs.

I am confused now......I have a 3600 and you say a 3800 is good for my needs.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Roku 3800 or 3800+

"lvporta" wrote:
"jeffrok" wrote:
"lvporta" wrote:
The new Sticks support 802.11AC

and I don't have that kind of router....so as long as I have an older router, I will stay put.  Thanks



Yeah, no need to get more than you need.. the 3800 is good for your needs.

I am confused now......I have a 3600 and you say a 3800 is good for my needs.


Sorry, meant stay put, as you said.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos