Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AChanceFind
Level 9

Roku 3 updated and SD card & Angry Birds stopped working

Jump to solution

My Roku 3  4200X is a bit old now ( I guess 6+ years) but has reliable and stable for the vast majority of the time I have had it and up until today it had not even rebooted in about 70 days with no crashes etc!

Today it says it updated itself and rebooted although I swear the build number seems to be the same as it was before: 9.4.0 build 4190-04 , but it's possible I was on 9.3 before (no real changes noticed) 

Can anyone at Roku confirm that there was indeed an update? It's frustrating that we cannot find version info/history down to the build number anywhere it seems.

My SD card also started asking to be reformatted but I did not trust that so I tried rebooting, taking card in and out, and now the card won't even be recognized so I am guessing it went bad as I cannot read it on a computer either. Can anyone please confirm if they ever had any experience like this?

I have already ordered a new SD card so I will find out tomorrow or so if that fixes that issue, but I guess I will have some data loss and need to re-login to some channels.

It also looks like Angry Birds Space no longer loads  - it just tries to load then fails -- is that an SD card issue too or is the game finally discontinued or the update broke it? I know I played it just a couple of weeks ago. I understand that it has been removed from the Roku store so there is no way to get it back if you uninstall it. My reboot animation is based on the game so I have a "special edition" I guess, although not sure if that would prevent end of support for the game on my hardware?

Finally can anyone at Roku confirm when end of support for Roku 3 will be? I googled around and could find no clear answer.

Thank you!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jack_S
Level 7

Re: Roku 3 updated and SD card & Angry Birds stopped working

Jump to solution

Angry Birds Space shipped with my old Roku3.  It fails to launch since the v9.4 s/w upgrade.

It may be due to Adobe Flash passing it's end of life.  IIRC, Angry Birds games were Flash-Based.

Roku may have discontinued Flash with v9.4 without any notice or documentation.  Thanks Roku.

RIP Flash

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AChanceFind
Level 9

Re: Roku 3 updated and SD card stopped working

Jump to solution

Received a new 16gb class 4 card today and my Roku 3 recognized it immediately out of the box, formatted it and it is in use now (PNY brand).  Deep diving into some threads I never knew micro SD cards were such aggravation for many users with issues of some never being able to use a card or have to insert/eject repeatedly all of which sound like hardware contact issues.  I guess the fact that my unit updated and rebooted was just a coincidence and it likely just aggravated a 6 year old card (also a 16gb but class 10) that probably had corruption issues; it always reported around 11% usage which I never believed could be true but it was doing something as I didn't get the reload warnings which I did when the card failed. 

Does anyone know roughly how many channels can be installed on the internal 256mb storage before it starts asking for a card? I had 70 channels, deleted about 20 and was still getting reloads when I didn't have the card.  

Also Angry Birds Space still does not load so either my install was corrupted or Roku pulled some final plug. I wish someone could confirm if it was a final plug - either way I'm guessing no one will be able to help restore it in some sort of backend way as it has not been supported for years apparently, it's not in the app store nor can resets bring it back anymore, even though my unit is a special edition that even shows the Birds animation on boot up, so I always thought it would be there forever. Oh well just my luck when I like something it gets discontinued!

0 Kudos
mLeo
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same thing for me. We need info from Roku.

0 Kudos
SCUser
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same here on my Roku 3. Angry Birds and Angry Birds Space both just go to the splash screen and then back to the home menu.

AChanceFind
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thank you for confirming I am not the only one with the game issue. My issue with the SD card put some doubt in my mind as that being a part of it but I suspect they are two unrelated issues but both related to the 9.4 update. Do you have the SD card issue too?

I hope a future update can fix the game issue, I know it's silly but that feature of my Roku was one of my favorites and playing off and on I was on a last level and I found the game to be relaxing especially during these lockdowns. I wonder if I'll get my game history back if it's fixed as the original SD card that became unreadable is now in now way fixable as it broke in half when I was handling it (I think it was brittle from being so old), and I am not sure if that data was saved locally.   

0 Kudos
mLeo
Level 7

Jump to solution

It's hard to tell if the sd is working. Angry Birds was the only app that complained about needing to be reloaded. How do I check it's there?

0 Kudos
AChanceFind
Level 9

Jump to solution

If you go to settings >> system >> about , there you will see at the bottom if a SD card is installed or not. 

After the update my card wanted to be reformatted but I ignored that and took the card out and back in and eventually it just wouldn't even detect it so something made the card go bad, or it was already going bad, or it was the update that corrupted it to make it go bad but my card was 6 years old so it was old and they do tend to fail a lot from what I've heard. 

If yours also went bad in the same way them maybe we have something in common.

I put in a new card and it's working fine again, but Angry Birds seems to be the only thing the update broke for me which I guess is not so bad if you see what other people are experiencing on some devices after the update.

0 Kudos
mLeo
Level 7

Jump to solution

The SD Card is there and about 31% full, it's a very small card.

Is Angry Birds gone?

But what about my magnificent Angry Bird Scores!

Are they gone too!!

Nooooo!!!! 

0 Kudos
AChanceFind
Level 9

Jump to solution

That's what I'd like to know too! I made it to the final levels and was enjoying it. I suspect if they can bring the game back after an update fix that your history will still be there as it may be saved locally (there's 256mb local storage), I don't remember clearly but a year ago or so I removed the card for another issue Roku helped me with and I loaded the game and my last levels were still there.

I think the SD card just acts more like virtual space/memory more than anything else so big apps/games/channels don't need to re-download common files all the time.  But it may be luck some data ends up local or on the card and if you lose the card you lose the data, I haven't found any info on exactly how it works exactly. 

I've also just found out late to the game though that even Rovio has discontinued original Angry Birds & Space (what I played) and years ago they even discontinued supporting the games on the Roku's & PCs even though I never had any playability issues or crashes on Roku so maybe it was a business thing more than technical...either way what is unclear is since many of us have "special edition" Roku 3 that shows the Birds on the reboot splash screen if that matters to Roku to fix the issue and make it work again or just let it die, I don't know the terms of service, but I'd suspect it's low priority or maybe it's technically outdated and can't be made to work again on 9.4 code. I know if you uninstall it you will never be able to get it back as that has been reported on several threads here.

0 Kudos
mLeo
Level 7

Jump to solution

Lets hope so! I take my gaming so seriously. Angry Birds on the Roku is the only game I play. I "Blow up Pigs" to do something mindless for a while. I will miss it if it goes bye-bye. If it comes back and I lose my scores, well .... I will re-climb that mountain!

Or find a better way to spend my time!

0 Kudos