Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PJX
Level 8

Re: Roku 3 updated and SD card & Angry Birds stopped working

Jump to solution

Same here, Roku3. Tried to load ABS and it reloaded the channel, got the Rovio splash screen, and then kicked back to the home screen. I don't have an SD card at all.

Maybe update is a bit too large when running and not enough memory for other stuff?

Can't wait to hear "Roku 3? That's six years old! You need a new one!". No, I don't. And I don't need a new iPhone either. That's six years old, too, and works just fine.

AChanceFind
Level 9

Jump to solution

I got another update from build 4190 to build 4200 (still version 9.4.0) and my Angry Birds is also still broken.  I saw on another thread someone mention a version 9.4.1 starting to roll out but I haven't received it and who knows if it will fix it.  I also saw some users recently mentioning Angry Birds as if it was still working 2 weeks ago so not sure if maybe they don't have the update or if the broken app is a local device issue that can't be fixed anyway as I see many warnings that if you uninstall to there is no way to reinstall as the app is gone from the Roku channel store.

AChanceFind
Level 9

Jump to solution

If any of you are itching for an Angry Birds fix, it looks like it still works on PC even though the software is over 8 years old now.  I purchased the "3 in 1" CD-rom version of the game on ebay still new and unopened for around $5 and it appears to have installed and activated just fine on a windows 10 PC, even though it's no longer officially supported by Rovio. I just played a few levels and it's the same game as on the Roku 3 (Space) and the mouse control is a similar experience as the Roku gaming remote (also no longer made).  It also comes with two other games, the regular "Angry Birds" and "Angry Birds Seasons".  The windows 10 Microsoft store also has a couple of Angry Birds games that are downloadable and playable for free.  

Edit: just noticed not all game levels/worlds are on the PC version of Space and with no updates it's probably not ever going to get them even if you complete the available levels. Oh well, I guess  the game is really dead and they really don't want  you to play it as they could have easily just set something up to let people just play all levels as freeware after it had been officially discontinued in 2015.

Tags (1)
Furrdogg
Level 7

Jump to solution

Angry Birds AND Tetris are not working.

Little help ROKU?!

Jack_S
Level 7

Jump to solution

Angry Birds Space shipped with my old Roku3.  It fails to launch since the v9.4 s/w upgrade.

It may be due to Adobe Flash passing it's end of life.  IIRC, Angry Birds games were Flash-Based.

Roku may have discontinued Flash with v9.4 without any notice or documentation.  Thanks Roku.

RIP Flash

View solution in original post

AChanceFind
Level 9

Jump to solution

Thank you! That does indeed make sense then. 

What bugs me is that Roku basically does not acknowledge Angry Birds in any clear way even when they somewhat discontinued it 6 years ago, and it was a "special edition" with even the boot screen featuring the game! It's upsetting when you buy something and it turns into something else but I guess that's how it is with anything software.  I will definitely miss the game, it was my favorite feature of the old Roku 3 which I am replacing soon with an Ultra LT.