Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lmacmil
Level 7

Roku 3 suddenly won't load apps

I have not made any changes nor have I added any apps recently.  Apps that previously loaded fine now say I need a microSD card to load and say they can't load from the internet.  When I check my internet connection, it says it's ok and I can stream Netflix and Hulu but Showtime and several others will no longer load.  I have deleted several rarely used apps but that didn't help.  Also rebooted but that didn't help either.  What's going on here?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Roku 3 suddenly won't load apps

"lmacmil" wrote:
I have not made any changes nor have I added any apps recently.  Apps that previously loaded fine now say I need a microSD card to load and say they can't load from the internet.  When I check my internet connection, it says it's ok and I can stream Netflix and Hulu but Showtime and several others will no longer load.  I have deleted several rarely used apps but that didn't help.  Also rebooted but that didn't help either.  What's going on here?

"Need"? Post the exact message. A screenshot, if possible.

It's not unexpected that a Roku device that has microSD card capability would present a message suggesting a microSD card if the device is having to unload apps from memory. But requiring it? That would be odd.

Keep in mind that your Roku will only store as many apps as it can on the device itself. The number of apps depends on how much free space is left after the OS/firmware is installed, and how big the apps you want are.

For example, if you have 128 MB available, and you have a 50 MB app, a 40 MB app, and a 30 MB app installed, if you then attempt to load a 20 MB app, one of the already-installed apps will need to be purged from the device. Note that this does not remove the app from your account, just from your local device.

If you then try to another app, and it's too big, the device will remove another from local storage (but won't remove it from your account).

So, if there has been an update to an app and it made it larger than it was before -- say, a new Hulu update -- then your Roku could have gone from having enough local storage for everything to being overloaded, and having to remove an app from the device. That's when it would prompt you, suggesting (not requiring) that a microSD card be installed.

If the same situation occurred with a Streaming Stick, a Premiere, or an Express, there would be no message.

So, confirm what the message actually said. Read it carefully. Write it down. Let us know the exact wording.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
lmacmil
Level 7

The exact message reads: "to avoid re-loading channels, a microSD card is now recommended."

You're explanation of apps getting larger with periodic updates makes sense and would seem to be the only explanation since I have not added any apps recently.  I have deleted a couple more apps and while I'm stilling getting that message for some apps (e.g., Amazon video), the apps have all loaded.  I've got a microSD card coming my way in a couple days.  Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

There's two versions of the Roku 3, model 4200 and 4230. The Wiki post doesn't show any hardware differences, so can't say what changed. They both show 256 MB of channel storage memory. I have no idea what the "typical" app size is, so no way to say how many is too many for 256 MB. I have read here that the larger SD cards don't actually provide more storage. If I recall correctly, 4 GB was about the limit of space it can use. But for almost everyone, that should be plenty.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
lmacmil
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
There's two versions of the Roku 3, model 4200 and 4230. The Wiki post doesn't show any hardware differences, so can't say what changed. They both show 256 MB of channel storage memory. I have no idea what the "typical" app size is, so no way to say how many is too many for 256 MB. I have read here that the larger SD cards don't actually provide more storage. If I recall correctly, 4 GB was about the limit of space it can use. But for almost everyone, that should be plenty.

Pretty sure mine is the 4200 and a 4GB card is what I ordered.
0 Kudos