Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Roku 3 storage expansion slot

"edroksense" wrote:
This is simply an electronic toy and needs to pay for subscription to view channel but can not compete with cable tv with free movie also only difference is that roku pays little  than cable.  As smart tv is gaining ground soon,  roku is enlisted to fail its purpose, then we will see it will join with like pagers, blackberries or betamax..etc. in failed museum.

???????
I don't understand. I do not pay for any subscription at all for basic usage. Without paying I can watch a plethora of movies and TV shows and I can easily watch my nearly 10TB of movie and TV content that I own through Plex, Emby or Roku media player. 

In addition I can add content from many TV streaming services or sports services or movie services for a small monthly or yearly fee. Those services are optional but usually a great value for the price.

For me there is no better value than the Roku. All the other streamers offer only a small subset of what Roku offers. Roku is far from perfect but the are way better than any alternative I have found. 

If anyone has a better streamer to present I would be glad to hear about it and the why it is better part and how it covers even most of the content that Roku has and what it offers that Roku does not.

Just condemning Roku without offering an alternative is childish at best and serves nothing but the same purpose that is served by a three year old's temper tantrum.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

"edroksense" wrote:
This is simply an electronic toy and needs to pay for subscription to view channel but can not compete with cable tv with free movie also only difference is that roku pays little  than cable.  As smart tv is gaining ground soon,  roku is enlisted to fail its purpose, then we will see it will join with like pagers, blackberries or betamax..etc. in failed museum.

Spam bot.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Yeah, this guy is funny. Streaming has proven to be more than a fad.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I appreciate this thread and I just wanted to double check something since it overlaps the OP: 

On any of the Rokus that offer the feature including the new Ultra:   I can use a normal USB flash thumbdrive on it or does it need to be a "powered" device like an external hard drive?     

In other words: How particular is this setup?   Thanks! 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Any USB flash drive should work.. it's when you get into using USB hard drives (mechanical) when you might right into problems. If you use a hard drive, make sure it's powered, to be safe.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
Any USB flash drive should work.. it's when you get into using USB hard drives (mechanical) when you might right into problems. If you use a hard drive, make sure it's powered, to be safe.

Good deal, thanks! 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

.... and now they have Roku TV's.  Failed?  Don't think so.

0 Kudos