Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edroksense
Level 7

Roku 3 storage expansion slot

For what purpose to add a microSD into card slot?
What is the best size of card for streaming a three hour movie?
0 Kudos
15 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku 3 storage expansion slot

The card has nothing to do with streaming media. All it is for is storing channel code for the channels you have installed. If you have more channels than memory, it just requires a few seconds to download the channel code. It provides no assistance with caching streaming data, or any other usage. For that purpose, any SD card larger than about 4 GB would be overkill.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

You'll want to use a USB stick for playing movies locally, not an SD card.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
edroksense
Level 7

Thanks for the answers-appreciated.
Clarify me with USB stick - is this just an ordinary  USB flash drive inserted into roku slot?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"edroksense" wrote:
Clarify me with USB stick - is this just an ordinary  USB flash drive inserted into roku slot?

Yes. You'd use an app like Roku Media Player to play the content. Simplest way to ensure it works is to encode for iTunes, if you have such a preset. You don't have to, but that preset works.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"edroksense" wrote:

Yes, that or a portable hard drive. Be aware that the Roku has limited power through the USB port, so some portable hard drives might not work. But either a powered external drive or a powered hub can resolve that issue.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
edroksense
Level 7

This is not what i am looking for.
Roku is best placed in Failed museum.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

No, not failed. Just doesn't meet your needs. There's a difference. As far as streaming goes, I don't know of any device that will allow you to save the downloaded video. With the exception of Netflix and Amazon allowing off line viewing a limited number of titles. And there's a time limit, so even if you've downloaded a movie (I had a couple on my iPad), you can't watch them after a certain time limit. So your question about a storage card will get the same answer regardless of streaming device.
Dan
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"edroksense" wrote:
This is not what i am looking for.
Roku is best placed in Failed museum.

Because it has a USB slot for videos, and not an SD slot? Awww.. failed.

No, actually, you can store a whole heck of a lot more on a portable hard drive than you can on an SD card, so I'm sure this is why Roku hasn't explored allowing people to use the SD slot for anything other than what it was originally designed for.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
edroksense
Level 7

This is simply an electronic toy and needs to pay for subscription to view channel but can not compete with cable tv with free movie also only difference is that roku pays little  than cable.  As smart tv is gaining ground soon,  roku is enlisted to fail its purpose, then we will see it will join with like pagers, blackberries or betamax..etc. in failed museum.
0 Kudos