Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
spuck20
Level 7

Roku 3 shuts down, factory resets self when restarted

Starting in about late July, our Roku 3 has started to power down on it's own.  Power plug typically has to be pulled to restart, and when it does, it's apparently forgotten who it is and appears to have done close to a factory reset when it resets, though, I think maybe the wifi settings do persist.  (It's ethernetted, so, I just realized I haven't paid that much attention to the other network settings, though, they seem to be there)  

Any thoughts?   I have to do the language choice, go through the website activation process and so on and then it will work for a day or two or even up to a week or so, but ultimately, it ends up rebooting to a setup mode or just plain shutting down and the power cord has to be pulled to reboot it.   Was thinking it choked on a firmware update, but it doesn't seem to be a common problem, so, guessing I've got components that are giving up the ghost from likely heat wear and tear.  
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Roku 3 shuts down, factory resets self when restarted

"spuck20" wrote:
Starting in about late July, our Roku 3 has started to power down on it's own.  Power plug typically has to be pulled to restart, and when it does, it's apparently forgotten who it is and appears to have done close to a factory reset when it resets, though, I think maybe the wifi settings do persist.  (It's ethernetted, so, I just realized I haven't paid that much attention to the other network settings, though, they seem to be there)  

Any thoughts?   I have to do the language choice, go through the website activation process and so on and then it will work for a day or two or even up to a week or so, but ultimately, it ends up rebooting to a setup mode or just plain shutting down and the power cord has to be pulled to reboot it.   Was thinking it choked on a firmware update, but it doesn't seem to be a common problem, so, guessing I've got components that are giving up the ghost from likely heat wear and tear.  

It does sound like the device may be on its last legs. I could be wrong, but the question now becomes how did it get that way? Roku 3 devices have been rock solid. Sure, the 4200 model is 5 years old, but it's been one of the most reliable devices ever released by Roku.

Is it hot to the touch. Not warm. Not very warm. Hot? If so, perhaps dust or inadequate airflow may have caused overheating. If not, then this ain't it.

Since it's practically resetting itself anyway, perhaps doing a hard factory reset might be in order. Depress the reset button for no less than 30 seconds. 29 seconds isn't long enough, no matter what you may see on the screen. Actually hold it down for 30 seconds. Use a clock.

After that, it'll want to be connected to the Internet. Next, it'll attempt to re-download the software and then go through the rest of the setup. You're pretty much doing this anyway, but you haven't said anything about it updating, indicating it's not doing that part of the setup. A hard factory reset should force that. If it's a software corruption, this may (no guarantees though) resolve that.

Apart from that, perhaps someone else has a suggestion. Otherwise, it may be time to say that 5 years was a good life.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
spuck20
Level 7

Re: Roku 3 shuts down, factory resets self when restarted

Thanks for the input.  I had decided that was my last option, verifying that it was actually doing a factory reset by forcing it manually since as I wrote that post yesterday I realized there was a question as to whether it was clearing all settings or not.  

I have verified on several reboots that it doesn't want to download any additional software, so, it thinks it's up to date with whatever the current is at the time, but it's still been doing the self reset.   Checked it last night and it's still okay which makes 2 weeks.  That's the best it's done since July.  I've positioned it so part of it hangs off the edge of the shelf in an effort to get it more air, so, maybe the heat is the issue.  I'll wait for the next reset and then force a full factory reset and see if that does anything.  In the meantime, guess I'll be stalking something for Black Friday. 

As you mentioned, it's been a great device to this point. Sadly, my 2 XS that has been buggy with several of its apps over its history is still plugging along.  
0 Kudos