Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wayBack
Level 7

Roku 3 is not formatting MicroSD card

I am following the guidelines in this link:

https://support.roku.com/article/208756158 

Trying to install a SanDisk Ultra microSDHC UHS-I 16gb card.  

The format option never shows up on the Roku home page.  I can put this card into my computer and reformat it and use it fine.  Please advise on how to resolve. 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6\
Sheenders
Level 7

Re: Roku 3 is not formatting MicroSD card

I am having the same issue using a SanDisk 32G microsd.  Roku 3 doesn't recognize the disk.  I have formatted the disk on my computer but the disk is not recognized by my Roku 3.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks.  Sheenders

wayBack
Level 7

Roku eventually sent me an email stating, "We apologize, that we did not mention in the earlier mail. But Roku will support 2 GB or 4 GB storage capacity."

I bought a 2 GB (from Roku as they had the best price) and it worked. 

buythecee
Level 7

I'm glad Roku finally mentioned to someone that it was a size limit - thanks for the post!  It would be nice if they updated their website as a requirement.  I just discovered you could use any size card over 4GB, if you can't find a MicroSD card that size anymore, or if you already purchased a larger one: 

Delete the existing partition on the MicroSD card and recreate only one partition that's 4GB (4096MB) in size. 

I left the volume label blank, left segment size to default, and drive letter doesn't matter.  On Windows 10, you can find this utility by right-clicking on the start button, and selecting Disk Management.  Caution! make sure you don't reformat the wrong media, like your C: drive :-)

Afterwards, insert the card into Roku, and select system restart.  It worked for me, hopefully for you as well.  

buythecee
Level 7

Also forgot to mention, use FAT32 for the File System type.  Good luck!

NoWeb
Level 7

I am having the same problem. I have a new 16 GB micro SD from SanDisk. I've tried changing the partition size to 4 and even 2 GB, formatted as FAT32, but my Roku 3 still does not recognize the SD. I am about to give up on this.

0 Kudos
Android8675
Level 7

Interesting. I wonder if FAT32 is the only requirement? Windows 10 won't format FAT32 beyond 4gb, but there are other FAT32 formatters that let you format beyond 4gb with larger "allocation units". I guess if Roku can handle these larger allocation units there may be no reason you couldn't take advantage of MicroSD cards larger than 4gb.

/shrug. Something to play with tonight.

0 Kudos