Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shadow2k1
Level 7

Roku 3 hr Shut off Setting

I've been using Roku for 6 months, and i've noticed.... after 3 hours of inactivity, or using the remote control, your tv or roku will shut off after 3 hours.

I use a channel based app to watch tv shows... and every 2 or 3 hours my roku keeps shutting off "asking do you want to continue watching this"

My question is.... Is there some sort of software or download i can put into my roku, so it disables this..... i find myself messing with my roku every 3 hours... just to watch a full day's worth of tv..

I understand it's a built in safety feature but.. it gets annoying... dealing with this... and i was wondering if there was any other way around it, or am i stuck... just having do this for the rest of my time... with roku ?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
twiceover
Level 11

Re: Roku 3 hr Shut off Setting

Have never seen what you are talking about.  What model Roku?  What model TV?  Are you sure it isn't the app you are using and not the Roku itself?  Many apps will have prompts asking you if you are still watching to save on bandwidth.  This is usually timed off the last time you used the remote.  That said, it is app specific and not Roku's programming.
0 Kudos
reb2u
Level 7

We are having the same problem.  It just started happening in the last few months.  It doesn't matter what we're watching through Roku, whether Xfinity, Netflix, Sling, etc.  It doesn't happen if we're watching regular antenna TV.

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the inquiry.

Does the device turn off completely, or does it return to the home screen?

If the device is returning to the home screen, it is possible what you are seeing is the Bandwidth Saver. For more information regarding the Bandwidth Saver, visit our Support Page here: How do I use Bandwidth Saver to avoid going over my internet data cap?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos