Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Redheadsr
Reel Rookie

Roku (3) has stopped talking to the TV not showing up on input select area on TV

For no reason, my Roku (3) has stopped talking to the TV? Roku is no longer showing up as a selection under inputs on the TV.  I see HDMI 3 and 4; TV but no Roku as it was only a few days ago..  I have checked the HDMI cable it works; Tried all the HDMI ports nothing with the Roku, but they work fine with everything else.  How do I resolve this issue?  I did push the reset button on Roku but that didn't make it work either.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku (3) has stopped talking to the TV not showing up on input select area on TV

Disconnect the power for a few seconds and plug it back in.  Does the light on the Roku light up after a few seconds?  If not it could just be dead or the power adapter could be dead.  The Roku 3 is getting pretty long in the tooth these days.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Redheadsr
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku (3) has stopped talking to the TV not showing up on input select area on TV

Yes, I have unplugged the roku 3 different times.  Once overnight. Plugged back in and the light does come on in a few seconds each time.  I pushed the reset button too then the light flashed but would not show up on input area of the TV.  After reset I unplugged it again then plugged back in the next morning.  Nothing. Except the roku light flashes now but not connecting to the TV

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Redheadsr wrote:

For no reason, my Roku (3) has stopped talking to the TV? Roku is no longer showing up as a selection under inputs on the TV.  I see HDMI 3 and 4; TV but no Roku as it was only a few days ago..  I have checked the HDMI cable it works; Tried all the HDMI ports nothing with the Roku, but they work fine with everything else.  How do I resolve this issue?  I did push the reset button on Roku but that didn't make it work either.

If you see HDMI 3 and HDMI 4, does that mean Roku is plugged into HDMI 1 or 2? Which one? And can you change it to a different input? The thinking is, suppose Roku is in HDMI 2, but your TV's HDMI 2 port has gone bad. A different port would make a difference.

Yes, it certainly could be the Roku 3 has gone bad. The  device was originally released in 2013 (model 4200) and updated in 2015 (model 4230). That's a long time in the life of a sub-$100 device. Yes, many Roku 3 devices are still in service and chugging along just fine, but some to come to end of life sooner than others. It may be time. But check the HDMI inputs before going down that road.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Redheadsr
Reel Rookie

Yes, I have plugged it into all the HDMI ports and the roku does not show up, but other devices plugged into the HDMI ports do.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

That doesn't sound good at all. It's getting power -- the light indicates that -- and none of the different HDMI ports show, though other devices show, indicates a serious problem with the Roku. It may be at end of life.

Others may have some suggestions, or @RokuDanny-R@RokuMary-F, or @RokuKariza-D may have some suggestions. Failing that, it may be time for a new one.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Redheadsr

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware that the Roku 3 is an older device and its possible that the device may simply be on its way out.

For troubleshooting purposes, have you already tried connecting your Roku device to another TV to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I have the same problems. I just wanted to see if anyone had a solution before I replaced it. Tried all HDMI ports, and they work with other devices but Roku stopped showing up. I tried to take it out, reboot, and sometimes it showed up briefly but once I turned the TV off, the HDMI port didn't' recognize it. I really like my Roku. Think its time to cave and get a new one.

0 Kudos