Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Misscrf
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku 3 Not Acknowledging Micro SD Card

Jump to solution

Why did someone accept this as the solution? Shouldn't I be the one to mark which one is the solution? I haven't gotten the micro sd card reader, to format my card and test this solution. 

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Misscrf wrote:

Why did someone accept this as the solution? Shouldn't I be the one to mark which one is the solution? I haven't gotten the micro sd card reader, to format my card and test this solution. 

Kind of wondered the same thing.  Was thinking you would update us.  Also thought that was pretty fast shipping.  Maybe they just know this is going to work! Smiley Happy

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Misscrf
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I plan to update, once I get the reader, which is expected tomorrow.  I don't know how long it will take to format, but I plan to do it as soon as I get the reader! 

0 Kudos
Misscrf
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I did a quick NTFS format and that didn't work. Now I'm trying an exFAT(Default) format and not doing a quick format, to try that. If that doesn't work, I'll do NTFS again, but not a quick format.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Misscrf 

Check this link out I found in forums for you.  Especially how @ MCSquared on page 4 got his 32gb Sandisk to work.  Does appear the larger gb card, and especially Sandisk, have trouble being recognized.  It may also be the class 10.  But he did get his 32gb, class 10 Sandisk to get recognized and work.

Long and short of it, he left Roku3 on during process and just kept popping the SD card in and out repeatedly until the format screen or mounting screen  popped in.  maybe 10-15 times.

Others said formatting to RAW works.  It is a lengthy post, but see if any of those tips help.  Even though your card may not be recommended, you may still get it to work successfully.

Keep us posted and reply if you need any more help.

Misscrf
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you! the long exFAT(Default) didn't seem to work. I'm doing the long NTFS format now. Which is RAW?  I will have to look that up.  the exFAT and NTFS are the only options I have.  Once this is done, I will get a paperclip or something, and try that inserting and ejecting again and again. Still trying!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

Don't bother with RAW.  That is basically when all else fails and a device is failing NTFS and FAT format checks.  If you haven't dealt with it before, it can become a nightmare, and overcomplicate things.  It is a troubleshooting step...Disregard that advice from within the post.   It would be easier to buy a new card than experiment with RAW.  

0 Kudos
Misscrf
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I finished the slow format to NTFS. I inserted and ejected it a ton of times. It's not reading.  I'm going to order smaller ones, and see if a smaller size card will work. If so, I'm going to be letting Roku know. This amount of troubleshooting, after they annoy me with needing to get more size, because they couldn't just put a size in the Roku, that would scale to the needs. The app is used to buffer video. 500 GB would have been smart. Then all this onus on the customer, would be unnecessary. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

Yes, that seems to be the smartest idea.  Was just hoping you could get what you already had on you working.  I really think it is the size more so than the brand.

https://support.roku.com/article/208756158  

This is Roku's product page. https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player#item-SD02

Note near the bottom they recommend a 2gb card for the Roku3.  But as you have seen with your own research, end users can get bigger cards and different brands to work but you have to do some fiddling. I did not see anything where it says "up to" or max specs. Since users have 32gb reportedly working, I think that is probably the max.

That is why it can get irritating when everyone just points to the Roku's own support for the troubleshooting, or a "canned" response like it is the final answer.  It may be the recommended method, but it surely is not the only method.  (of course, if you deter from the recommended method, it is up to you to make it work).

I think we can almost definitively say a Sandisk 64gb class 10 micro SD will not work with the Roku3. 

Unfortunate you couldn't it get to work.  Post back what you do get to work so maybe it will help some other users in the future with same problem.  Good luck!

renojim

Jump to solution

@Misscrf wrote:

The app is used to buffer video. 500 GB would have been smart.

The microSD card is strictly for channel storage.  It won't be used for buffering video.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.