Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Misscrf
Binge Watcher

Roku 3 Not Acknowledging Micro SD Card

Jump to solution

I got a micro as card fitting roku recommendations, for my Roku 3 (4200 series) . The SD card is a SanDisk 64GB MicroSDXC Ultra Uhs-1 Memory Card. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XDCZ9J3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_D6Y60SA10QGPHK4TFB1H?_encoding=UTF8...)

I followed the instructions, took out the HDMI, inserted the card into the slot below the hdmi port, and it clicks into place. I put the hdmi plug back in. The roku doesn’t prompt me to format it or acknowledge I inserted the card. Is resetting my entire roku really going to fix this problem? If I have to re-set up my wifi, add all my channels back, and re-sign into all of them, that is going to suck if it doesn’t fix this issue.  Can anyone help?

Tags (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 3 Not Acknowledging Micro SD Card

Jump to solution

I am sure you are putting it in correctly as it only goes in one way nice and easy.

I also thought it used class 10 sdcard.

However on amazon (brief check for you) I came up with this as compatible, a class 4

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Streaming-Everything-Stromboli-SDSDQM-032G-B35/dp/B079MDQDY3/ref=mp_s...

I am still thinking a class 10 is compatible but yours may be too big(64gb).  I know the RokuTvs won't necessarily take a bigger USB over 32gb or fails to recognize them.

You may have to try a lower gb card.

I owned roku3 but know I did not have issue with the card but it was prob either an 8gb or 16gb I used at the time.

EDITED.....

Ok, looks like 64gb should work, but you may to format it (especially Sansdisk for some reason) on a computer/laptop and try a couple of times before Roku will recognize.  

Give that a shot.  That is prob the culprit.  Format first.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
Misscrf
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I got 4GB class 4 micro cards and they worked instantly.  Roku's instructions for adding an SD card say nothing about max class or size, and they should.  This was way more frustrating than it should have been.

These were the micro cards I got, and they came with an sd card reader (sd size, not usb).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L8RC2Y2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

After inserting the card, did you reboot the Roku.  (unplug unit or do a System Restart).  Should recognize card after reboot and should prompt you to format. (as long as your card is compatible)

0 Kudos
Misscrf
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you for replying. I just did that and nothing. I took out the card, put it back in, and unplugged the power and plugged it back in again. Still nothing. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

I think the copper side goes up on one of these models.  Just making sure you are putting in correctly.

It should go in easily not forcefully.

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

I am sure you are putting it in correctly as it only goes in one way nice and easy.

I also thought it used class 10 sdcard.

However on amazon (brief check for you) I came up with this as compatible, a class 4

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Streaming-Everything-Stromboli-SDSDQM-032G-B35/dp/B079MDQDY3/ref=mp_s...

I am still thinking a class 10 is compatible but yours may be too big(64gb).  I know the RokuTvs won't necessarily take a bigger USB over 32gb or fails to recognize them.

You may have to try a lower gb card.

I owned roku3 but know I did not have issue with the card but it was prob either an 8gb or 16gb I used at the time.

EDITED.....

Ok, looks like 64gb should work, but you may to format it (especially Sansdisk for some reason) on a computer/laptop and try a couple of times before Roku will recognize.  

Give that a shot.  That is prob the culprit.  Format first.

Tags (1)
Hiphobbit
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I think it goes in upside down in a 2018 ultra and just posted to find an answer to which way is up hard to find clarity on this issue for new users or first time SD/ROKU users but once that is done getting it recognized is a whole new lvl of heck. Also I believe I am using the same samsung 64bit EVO Plus read speed 100MBs and write speed 20MBs class 10 microSD.... Is that the same SD you are talking about here in this post?

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

The card is only used to store channel apps beyond the storage capacity of the Roku unit itself, to reduce the number of apps that must be reloaded from the 'net.

If I recall correctly, a Roku 3 will only use some small amount like 2 or 4 MB so a larger card doesn't gain you anything.  And although I didn't have problems when I was using a Roku 3, Rokus have been notoriously reported to be fussy about cards they'll work with.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Misscrf
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for replying! Now I need to figure out how to format it on my laptop.  I have an sd card slot but not a micro sd slot.  I don't have one of those sd holders for a micro sd card.  hmmmm....

Misscrf
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I ordered an sd/micro sd usb reader, so I can format these cards on my laptop.  Once I format them, I will see if they can be read by the roku.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

They have an adapter(basically your microSD just clicks/sits into the larger SD "card"/adapter.  That way you can use on different devices.  This way, if you find worst case scenario, this card won't work with your Roku, you can continue to use it with your laptop.

0 Kudos