Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku 3 (4230X) vs. Streaming Stick 2019 (3810R)

I have two Roku 3's (4230x) and don't really have any issues with either unit. Still, I had a chance to pick up the latest Streaming Stick + (3810R) when it was on sale around Black Friday 2019 but haven't opened it yet. Because the Roku 3 is an older device that is no longer sold or supported, I couldn't find a single comparison between the two models. My overall take is that while the Streaming Stick + doesnt have an ethernet port, it is likely faster and has greater wifi range than my Roku 3 - especially if my Roku 3 is connected via wifi rather than ethernet, which is, unfortunately, the case in my apartment. Also, the Streaming Stick + supports 4k, but neither of my TVs are 4k and I have no plan to upgrade anytime soon. Lastly, the Streaming Stick + doesn't support earbuds (I never use mine) and doesn't have MicroSD expansion (not sure how that might effect performance). In the end I'm not sure why I would or would not want to upgrade (downgrade?) to the Streaming Stick +. If it's significantly faster and more responsive and has greater range and a cooler interface, that would probably do it, but I'd love to get some feedback and advice from the community.

Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Roku 3 (4230X) vs. Streaming Stick 2019 (3810R)

I had a Roku 2 for a few years which I was very happy with and just upgraded to an Ultra.

I didnt really need to but Im glad I did. Its more responsive and has a few extra bells and whistles.

One thing I'm noticing its not buffering at higher resolutions like the Roku 2 did occasionally.

I cant speak to your particular Models. But I'm pleased with the more expensive car, naturally.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you. Had my timing been better, I might have grabbed an Ultra when it was on sale, rather than the Streaming Stick +. That said, chances are that by the time I'd actually be able to avail of the additional features, a newer model would be available anyway, so perhaps the Streaming Stick + is a smart stop-gap compromise until I require a higher end device. :-)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

I was perfectly happy with my Roku 2 and upgraded only because of the Xmas sales.

Plus the fact I only use Ethernet.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos