Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Triton46
Level 7

Roku 3 (4200) vs Roku Streaming Stick + (3810)

I'm considering upgrading my Roku 3 (4200) to a Roku Streaming Stick +.  I do not have a 4K TV (currently 2009 Samsung LN40A550) but will be considering in the next 1 - 3 years.  I am considering the Roku SS+ for the TV upgrade possibility, better wifi and $54.99 current price.  All my research says to keep the Roku 3, however I wanted to get insights on two subjects:

Reliability/Performance of upgrading CPU from BCM11130  to ARM Cortex A53 along with the additional memory (1GB over 512MB)
End of life of Roku 3 - currently I am on OS 8.0 and due to receive the update (has not happened yet) but at some point that will stop and newer apps will not work

I have not seen anything on what models/improvements may be in the pipeline for 2019 that would delay the update. 
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Roku 3 (4200) vs Roku Streaming Stick + (3810)

I would keep the 3 until I needed to make a change.

As for End Of Life, I would expect the next batch to hit that would be the second generation devices. Roku 3 is third generation, so, while I have no inside info, it would surprise me if Roku stopped supporting 2nd and 3rd both at the same time. Well, Roku 1/SE (model 2710) and Roku 2 (model 2720 only) I could see, but I don’t expect.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jontalk
Level 8

I'm also a Roku 3 owner though I recently purchased an LG OLED 4K TV which is amazing. I am curious about upgrading and found this comparison chart which is very helpful: https://goo.gl/7RiV1H  Of note, are a number of elements when comparing the 3 to the newest Ultra which has a quad core processor, 802.11 ac WiFi capability, optical digital output, voice search (though the app does this as well) and quite a few features the Roku 3 doesn't possess. Where 4K content is concerned, Netflix requires you have the family plan which costs an additional $3-$4/mo though to date, the content available is fairly limited but growing. My TV upscales HD content to 4K though its always better when its native. Since you don't have a 4K TV yet, I'm not sure if its a good strategy to upgrade much as the other member stated. As for myself, I'm going to hunt for an Ultra on Ebay since the feature set is of interest. Hope that helps
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.
0 Kudos
Triton46
Level 7

"jontalk" wrote:
I'm also a Roku 3 owner though I recently purchased an LG OLED 4K TV which is amazing. I am curious about upgrading and found this comparison chart which is very helpful: https://goo.gl/7RiV1H  Of note, are a number of elements when comparing the 3 to the newest Ultra which has a quad core processor, 802.11 ac WiFi capability, optical digital output, voice search (though the app does this as well) and quite a few features the Roku 3 doesn't possess. Where 4K content is concerned, Netflix requires you have the family plan which costs an additional $3-$4/mo though to date, the content available is fairly limited but growing. My TV upscales HD content to 4K though its always better when its native. Since you don't have a 4K TV yet, I'm not sure if its a good strategy to upgrade much as the other member stated. As for myself, I'm going to hunt for an Ultra on Ebay since the feature set is of interest. Hope that helps

Thanks!  I'm right on the line.  Smiley Happy  Your link goes to drone footage in a volcano.  I would like to see the link if you could repost.  Thanks!
0 Kudos
jontalk
Level 8

Sorry about the wrong link. This is the one I meant to paste: https://image.roku.com/ww/docs/compare- ... -en-us.pdf

By the way I found a guy locally with an Ultra and he made me aware of a problem its having with the latest firmware (8) and 4K 60 Hz processing though I realize you only have an HD TV. And speaking of such, prices are plummeting on 2017 OLED since the 18's are out so you might consider changing. I was a plasma user for years and there's NO comparison trust me. The bezel free display, deep blacks, natural colors and upscaling of HD content to 4K is stunning. Hope that helps
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.
0 Kudos
capatty
Level 7

I have a Roku 3 (4200x) and a 2016 Roku Ultra that I use with a 1080p (non-4k) TV, and for a few reasons related to your first bullet point am still using the Roku 3 as my main unit, and periodically pull out the Ultra to check for new firmware updates.

Reliability/performance: The Roku Ultra is much more responsive and outputs a noticably sharper image both on static menus and while watching stuff. For most people's purposes the Roku3 is probably "good enough;" it's considerably snappier than say an older Blu-Ray player or a cable box, and I wouldn't notice the difference in picture quality unless they were side by side. The one big thing that the Ultra shines on is its support for newer encoding formats; x265 loads on my Roku Ultra but I get an error about unsupported codecs using the Roku Media Player on my Roku 3. If you are only streaming online content and aren't playing your own content from a USB drive or NAS, I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade.

The one reason I don't use my Roku Ultra on a regular basis is that it is pretty glitchy. There are a few open threads about issues like white noise/static, HDCP errors, and the like that I've personally experienced, but that don't impact the 4200x. For instance, the screen on my Roku Ultra will periodically flash with funky static and the TV itself will emit a loud screeching noise until I switch inputs or turn off the TV. If these issues were resolved I'd have a lot more confidence recommending a newer Roku model or a Roku TV, but for now I'm sticking with my older unit.

End Of Life: Not particularly concerned about this as most of the services I use support a broad range of devices and appear likely to continue support on 1080p devices and older Roku units. I would prefer for the Ultra to be my main unit but until the glitches are ironed out, I'm sticking with the more dependable Roku 3.
TCL 55 inch 6 Series R613 (SN:YS00W7626058)
TCL 42 inch 5 Series (SN:YS00SA847038)
AVR: Samsung HW-N950 (5.1 DD, DTS+)
0 Kudos
gkl
Level 7

As my signature indicates, I own a 2017 Ultra, a 2017 Streaming Stick +, and a 3. My primary reason for upgrading was the remotes, in particular their ability to control the TV’s power and volume. My eye test tells me that the picture quality and loading response is slightly better, but the 3 is fine. I’ll probably replace the last 3 I own when the next generation of Rokus come out, moving my existing Ultra to that set and purchasing a new one for our primary set. Again, I’ll do this for the remote, not because of the marginal improvement of the box. I’m not an audiophile nor a videophile, and don’t own a 4K. So improvements in those areas don’t matter much to me.

To each his own.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
0 Kudos
donb
Level 7

I had a Roku 3 and also the older Streaming sticks.  I then went and bought both the 3800 and 3810 when they first came out.  I kept the 3810 because it had the sharpest picture and also was the fastest using my new 4K TV.  
0 Kudos