Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku 2020 (No optical)

Im not sure if you can help me but i have a 2017 model which has optical output where as this 2020 model only has hdmi. My receiver is pretty old but has a hdmi input but it isnt hdmi 2.0 or 2.2 compatible. Im not sure. But my sony android tv(2017) has digital optical output. Could i just connect the new Roku ultra to my tv via hdmi and at the same time use my tv optical output to go into my receiver to get full surround sound?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 15

Re: Roku 2020 (No optical)

It depends on the TV. Some may or may not pass on surround sound via the optical output. It may be downgraded to plain stereo.

You could consider getting an adapter to split out the optical audio from the HDMI.

https://www.amazon.com/LinkS-Extractor-Splitter-Converter-Chromecast/dp/B00XJITK7E

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Roku 2020 (No optical)

@Darkesthour wrote:

Im not sure if you can help me but i have a 2017 model which has optical output where as this 2020 model only has hdmi. My receiver is pretty old but has a hdmi input but it isnt hdmi 2.0 or 2.2 compatible. Im not sure. But my sony android tv(2017) has digital optical output. Could i just connect the new Roku ultra to my tv via hdmi and at the same time use my tv optical output to go into my receiver to get full surround sound?

First note that your Sony TV would have native android apps to play most or all of the same content that you can get on the Roku and would probably be easier to access with a single remote.   But yes, the optical output will carry surround sound to a receiver, or if your receiver will accept it you can use HDMI ARC.   You need to set sound>digital audio out to 'auto 1' or 'auto 2' in the TV settings.

0 Kudos