Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
williamhdixon
Reel Rookie

Roku 2 replacement advice

I have an older Roku 2 (model 2720X). There are some apps that I cannot add (like Peacock) because of the age of the device.

But there's are so many models and such, that I don't know what to consider buying. All I need is something like what I have, but current technology. I don't have (or want) a smart TV, so all I need is something that lets me connect to Amazon video, our church's Roku app, Peacock, YouTube, etc.

Would/could someone tell me what the current device is, to replace an older Roku 2, with no new bells and whistles?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku 2 replacement advice

You can get a very basic Express model with a simple remote (no voice or TV power/volume controls) for $20 for now.

However, I recommend getting the Express 4K+ for $30 to cover current/future TV connections, and for the voice remote with TV power/volume controls (which are extremely useful).

https://www.roku.com/products/players

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@williamhdixon wrote:

I have an older Roku 2 (model 2720X). There are some apps that I cannot add (like Peacock) because of the age of the device.

But there's are so many models and such, that I don't know what to consider buying. All I need is something like what I have, but current technology. I don't have (or want) a smart TV, so all I need is something that lets me connect to Amazon video, our church's Roku app, Peacock, YouTube, etc.

Would/could someone tell me what the current device is, to replace an older Roku 2, with no new bells and whistles?

The Roku 2 model 2720 is essentially a Roku 1 (2710) with the innards to support a WiFi Direct remote. Think Roku 1 with Roku 3 remote.

The Roku Express 4K+ is today's equivalent. It is the lowest priced device that includes the better remote, such as what you're used to. The suggestion by @StreamerUser for that device is on the money.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Go to your upgrade page see if there's a deal for you upgrade that old roku:

https://my.roku.com/upgrade/

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.