Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
angst987
Level 7

Roku 2 remote stops working with microSD card

I just purchased a Roku 2 and have been using it successfully for a few weeks. However I inserted a PNY 8GB class 4 microSD card into it and it resulted in the remote not working. The window popped up prompting me to format the card, but the remote did nothing, there was no flash from the white LED on the front of the Roku no matter what buttons I pushed on the remote. I had to use my smartphone Roku app to format and subsequently do anything.

I then popped the card out of the Roku and the remote still did nothing, so I power cycled the box and the remote started working again. I went through this whole process again to make sure it wasn't some random glitch.

Has anyone else experience this and is there a way to fix it? I want to increase the memory capacity but I don't want to have to always rely on my phone app to use the box.

Labels (1)
15 Replies
knuckle
Level 7

Re: Roku 2 remote stops working with microSD card

after you formatted the card using the app and rebooted the roku ( with the card in the unit) does the remote work?
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
masdaq
Level 7

I had the exact same problem (the Roku's remote fails to work once I inserted a micro SD card). I took the card out, remote still did not work. Reboot without card, it worked. Inserted card when Roku was off, booted, remote did not work.

I did as other owner here did, I downloaded the Roku app to my smartphone, and was able to successfully complete the format of micro SD card using the smartphone Roku app remote. I didn't try using the Roku's remote again prior to reboot. Using my smartphone Roku app remote, I did a system restart from the Roku Settings menu. Once rebooted, the Roku's remote worked fine once again.

This obviously is a bug that needs to be fixed. I suspected it is easily reproducible.
0 Kudos
NatalieT
Level 7

I had this same issue. I searched the internet for this topic for over an hour. I finally found this forum. Thank you for your help.
0 Kudos
MYU
Level 7

"masdaq" wrote:
I had the exact same problem (the Roku's remote fails to work once I inserted a micro SD card). I took the card out, remote still did not work. Reboot without card, it worked. Inserted card when Roku was off, booted, remote did not work.

I did as other owner here did, I downloaded the Roku app to my smartphone, and was able to successfully complete the format of micro SD card using the smartphone Roku app remote. I didn't try using the Roku's remote again prior to reboot. Using my smartphone Roku app remote, I did a system restart from the Roku Settings menu. Once rebooted, the Roku's remote worked fine once again.

This obviously is a bug that needs to be fixed. I suspected it is easily reproducible.

Same here, I have the XS and when I insert a memory card it fails to start up. I took it back out and have left it as everything else seems to work.
0 Kudos
lsc
Level 8

As posted elsewhere, a Roku 3 (2015) would not work after SD card inserted and formatted. Worked when card removed and Roku rebooted.
Roku 3(2015); Roku 2XS; Roku HD; ATT DSL; Netgear Wireless Gateway; Ethernet; LG 32" HDTV; HDMI; 1080p
jerryscot
Level 7

I can verify the issue is still present with the Roku 2 as of 8/16. 
aamuk
Level 7

I tried a 4gb Kingston Micro SDHC card in a Roku 2 (4205).  It detects the card and tells you to format it but the IR remote stops working. If you use the app you are able to format the card but the IR remote will still not work whilst the card is inserted even after a reboot. The same card works with no issue in a Roku 3 (4200). 

If I use an Infineon 2gb Micro SD (non HC) card in the Roku 2 (4205) I am able to format it and then it continues to work with the IR remote. 
0 Kudos
jimmer2880
Level 8

Still a problem on Roku 2 and 3.   Smiley Sad   What a real PIA to use an SD card in these devices.  Not only does it need to not be a SANDISK (the most popular brand), but now I learn that we can't use the remote if we use an SD Card.
Bobskog
Level 7

I got here from Google
Roku website no help
No way to communicate with Roku
Roku could have made life easier if they emailed a bulletin detailing problem with with remote after adding smd memory to Roku 2.

This forum solved my problem - thank you