Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aaron_08
Level 7

Re: Roku 2 remote stops working with microSD card

Still a problem with the Roku 3. Remote stops working while unformatted Samsung 32GB microSD (yeah, overkill) is inserted in my Roku 3. However, the roku does respond when using the smartphone app as a remote, in order to select 'format'. It took a long time, and even froze during formatting. After about 10 minutes, I finally unplugged the Roku for about 10 seconds. The remote still didn't work after rebooting. However, after I used the app to restart the Roku, the remote finally works again. Hopefully this process works for the Roku 2 as well. Good luck!
Highlighted
snowseff
Level 8

Still a problem w/ Roku 2.  The roku has been bugging me to buy an sd card to improve channel loading time.  Unfortunately, the warning doesn't tell me that the remote will no longer work.  Thank goodness for this forum post.  I tried all the above on resets - and the remote is nothing doing once the sd card is in there. 
DBDukes
Level 10

"snowseff" wrote:
Still a problem w/ Roku 2.  The roku has been bugging me to buy an sd card to improve channel loading time.  Unfortunately, the warning doesn't tell me that the remote will no longer work.  Thank goodness for this forum post.  I tried all the above on resets - and the remote is nothing doing once the sd card is in there. 

I have an SD card in my Roku 2 model 4210 and have no issue. Of course, mine is a 2 GB card, as Roku devices won't use more than that. What size is your card? And, it's not a high capacity card is it? Those really cause problems. If you want to use a microsSD card, go low-end on the card.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing what you're seeing here. 

For testing purposes, has anyone running into an issue tried an alternate micro SD card, or alternate brand of micro-SD card to see if they experience the same issue? 

Feel free to PM me with more specific details about the exact card you're trying to use, along with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About. I can take a closer look and follow up directly to assist you further. 

We offer micro-SD cards directly our our website that shouldn't have any compatibility issues with your Roku player. You can see them at: www.roku.com/accessories

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
AMDnutt
Level 7

After much wasted time playing around with my Roku 2, I am sure that there is a 2gb limit on the SD card for the remote to work. I tested 128gb, 64gb, 64gb, and 4gb of various brands and the only one that worked correctly (remote still working and allowed formatting) was the 2gb. Also, I tested Transcend and Samsung 2gb brands and both worked fine.

PITA and frustrating as **bleep** but at least all is working as it should. Load times are indeed better with the SD card but I caution those that add one to go low end 2gb...

UsualNoise
Level 7

As a software engineer, I'm somewhat flabbergasted that this is still an issue and could not be resolved with a system update.  I went through about 10 minutes trying to figure out why my remote stopped working with an SD card inserted before I googled the problem and found this forum.  To require a 2 GB max card without breaking the remote control is ridiculous.  Thanks for the responses; I installed the app and got everything working (using a 16 GB G-Skill card for what it's worth; the smallest one I owned).  Some poor forward-thinking programmers were at work with the system SD card feature.

0 Kudos
roca2112
Level 7

ki agree with you i used to be ablr to chat with roku when i had a problem now their website leaves you more confused than when yo started they ought to have better customer service or another company just might put them in the trash

0 Kudos