Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrokenEye
Level 8

Re: Roku 2 or not?

@Lgodave wrote:
With that concern in mind... Cost,Privacy, and Unwanted Features... can't virtually any Roku remotely access Media from the local Network with the correct App/Channel? (Been a few years but I remember accessing the Playlist from my DirecTV Genie DVR. Back when it had YouTube, a "Beta" Media Server, and Pandora as bonus features. Also used a Media Server App on my Laptop to access Photos, Video Clips via my Roku 2...)

I mean, that's an issue with virtually any "smart" device these days, and a **bleep** of a lot of websites to boot, but I've got to draw the line somewhere. I'd prefer to draw it somewhere where I could avoid that **bleep** entirely, but that sadly isn't an option at the moment, so for the time being, so for now collecting data on things happening in meatspace is where I'm drawing it.

EDIT: Really? I can't say "[scatological word that rhymes with trap]"? Is that even a swear anymore?

0 Kudos
BrokenEye
Level 8

Re: Roku 2 or not?

@atc98092 wrote:

However, your Roku 2 is severely limited in processing power. I have an old 2 XS that I haven't used for several years, simply because it isn't powerful enough to play anything more than a DVD rip without requiring transcoding. In technical terms, it has a video bitrate limit of about 12 Mbps. Most DVD rips remain below about 10 Mbps, so no problem there. But even the lowest Blu Ray bitrates are in the 20s or higher. I've see around 45 Mbps on some BD rips. And of course UHD rips exceed 100 Mbps. 

I've honestly never had that problem.

0 Kudos