Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
letalieb
Level 7

Roku 2 or not?

I just got an email stating that my Roku 2 will no longer be supported. I'm moving and can't get to my Roku, but I think the 2 was my first Roku. I'm on my second one now. It is not a stick. I have it plugged in via HDMI, Ethernet, and a power strip. The remote has Hulu and Netflix buttons. I think one of the remaining two buttons is for Amazon. I don't even want to guess what the fourth is. The serial number starts with YG007. Can anyone tell if that's something newer than a 2? I have no recollection of how long ago I bought it. Thank you!
11 Replies
Epsilon01
Level 7

Re: Roku 2 or not?

I got a similar email as well.  My Roku is from 2011, and I'm not sure just how much the firmware over the past several years was updated, because the home screen and each streaming app interface always has looked the same.

The email has a link directing to upgrade options and possible eligibility for upgrades but the page it links to just list some Roku devices and accessories, so I have no idea what I need to do, or simply just go and get a newer Roku.

0 Kudos
BrokenEye
Level 8

I got that email too, though frankly I'm not yet convinced that the decision will actually effect anything on my end if I choose not to upgrade. I looked at the Roku Express Plus, which is the model they offered an upgrade discount on, and it doesn't look like there's any meaningful difference between it and what I've already got.

0 Kudos
Lgodave
Level 8

Probably right... The only "meaningful" difference will be further Update/OS Support (Like 9.2) and (Continued) App/Channel Support along with faster performance.
Still have my Roku 2 XD... At the Moment it still works (although slower then my newer Roku Stick (3600?). Ordered the "upgrade" promo Express+ replacement today. Expect that means my XD will still be my go to "travel" player. Just now I may leave it at the "Cabin", just as long as Channel/App/Player functionality doesn't end overnight...
0 Kudos
BrokenEye
Level 8

I'm still waiting to find out whether the Express Plus (sorry, the plus sign key on this computer is broken) supports playback from external USB devices (or even has a USB slot) before making the decision.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 13

Only the Roku Ultra has usb slot.

0 Kudos
BrokenEye
Level 8

Well **bleep**. And that's.... nearly a hundred dollars? What the **bleep**?

And it looks like it's got a microphone on it on it too, which I don't doubt can't be disabled. Just **bleep**ing terrific. If they're recording my voice without my consent and selling it to advertisers, it really ought to be cheaper than the other models. Or even free. God knows they're making well more than a measly hundred dollars off that stolen data. Honestly, they really ought to be paying me for the privilege.

Right, looks like I'm keeping my Roku 2.

0 Kudos
Lgodave
Level 8

With that concern in mind... Cost,Privacy, and Unwanted Features... can't virtually any Roku remotely access Media from the local Network with the correct App/Channel? (Been a few years but I remember accessing the Playlist from my DirecTV Genie DVR. Back when it had YouTube, a "Beta" Media Server, and Pandora as bonus features. Also used a Media Server App on my Laptop to access Photos, Video Clips via my Roku 2...)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

@Lgodave wrote:
With that concern in mind... Cost,Privacy, and Unwanted Features... can't virtually any Roku remotely access Media from the local Network with the correct App/Channel? (Been a few years but I remember accessing the Playlist from my DirecTV Genie DVR. Back when it had YouTube, a "Beta" Media Server, and Pandora as bonus features. Also used a Media Server App on my Laptop to access Photos, Video Clips via my Roku 2...)

Yes, any Roku device can access a local network media source. What works the best is to use something like Plex or Emby, or use a DLNA server on your network and play it with the Roku Media Player.

However, your Roku 2 is severely limited in processing power. I have an old 2 XS that I haven't used for several years, simply because it isn't powerful enough to play anything more than a DVD rip without requiring transcoding. In technical terms, it has a video bitrate limit of about 12 Mbps. Most DVD rips remain below about 10 Mbps, so no problem there. But even the lowest Blu Ray bitrates are in the 20s or higher. I've see around 45 Mbps on some BD rips. And of course UHD rips exceed 100 Mbps. 

So, playing local media without transcoding is almost impossible with the older Roku devices. If your media server has sufficient power, then it can transcode and you're fine. But transcoding will saturate the server, and hinder its ability to do much of anything else. And if you're using a NAS device as your storage and DLNA server, it likely doesn't have the power to transcode fast enough to eliminate buffering. And no router-based DLNA server has that kind of power.

Your older players will still continue to function as they do now. But the channel providers will stop supporting then eventually, so don't be surprised to see them either no longer function, or be completely removed from your player. YouTube is already worthless on the old players, which was the original reason I put mine in a drawer so long ago. For the cost of a new model, you get something far more capable than the old players, and will continue to receive OS and channel updates.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

@BrokenEye wrote:

Well **bleep**. And that's.... nearly a hundred dollars? What the **bleep**?

And it looks like it's got a microphone on it on it too, which I don't doubt can't be disabled. Just **bleep**ing terrific. If they're recording my voice without my consent and selling it to advertisers, it really ought to be cheaper than the other models. Or even free. God knows they're making well more than a measly hundred dollars off that stolen data. Honestly, they really ought to be paying me for the privilege.

Right, looks like I'm keeping my Roku 2.

The microphone is only activated when you press a button. It's not live. If you don't like even the thought of it there, you could plug the small hole that feeds it and that will mute any sound that tries to reach the mic. Just about all the latest players from other manufacturers have a mic as well.

Yes, the Ultra is the only current Roku with a USB and an Ethernet connection. And there's not much else available from other makers that costs any less than an Ultra with the same features. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos