Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku 2 aspect ratio problem

Thanks for the notes here. 

Does this same issue occur on other channels, besides the few that you've mentioned? (e.g. Netflix, Amazon, YouTube) 

@wytcld - Purely for testing purposes, does bypassing the A/V receiver and connecting directly to the TV resolve the issue, or do you also still encounter this behavior? What is the specific model of Sony TV that you are using? 

@DigitalNative - Thanks for confirming those details. Do you recall more specifically when you first observed this issue? 

@everyone - Please PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About, and a recap of the make/model of both your TV and your A/V receiver as well as the channels and content titles you've seen this issue occur on. I'll take a closer look and follow up with you directly to see if there is any additional troubleshooting we can provide. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
kevinwharvey
Level 7

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue as the original poster.  However, I use a Denon AVR S940H.  I recently purchased and installed the Denon receiver and began experience the issues with "squished" image.  Restarting fixes the problem for a while, but it comes back within a day or two.

I experience the problem when watching Netflix, Hulu, and PBS.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@kevinwharvey

Thanks for the note. Does the same issue occur if you connect your Roku device directly to your TV, bypassing the receiver? 

You might also try checking for any available firmware updates for your receiver, to see if that may help. 

Feel free to PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About, and any additional details about the issue that you can recall. I'll follow up directly to continue looking into the issue with you. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Sven62
Level 7

Having the same issue with Denon receiver. AVR 391. 

Roku reboot fixes it for a few days. Happens with Amazon, Netflix
0 Kudos
Drakar2007
Level 7

Same issue for me.
Roku3, Onkyo NR-626, Vizio 55" 1080p non-smart tv (2011 model).

The issue seems to crop up intermittently after powering down the receiver/tv and powering back on. Or switching sources. I've been able to reliably reproduce it, but it happens to us once or twice a day at this point, enough to be severely offputting at least.

For me I've realized the issue can be fixed by going to the resolution menu, switching from Auto to 720, then to 1080. If i only do one of those (i.e. going straight from auto to 1080), the display issue is not fixed. I'm guessing this trick might work for the others here. Resetting also works as previously reported, but takes longer.

I also only remember this issue being around since maybe this past summer, though i can't say for sure. But I've had this same setup for several years now and the problem is only rather recent.

If i had to guess as to a cause, my suspicion is that the receiver (glad to see it isn't isolated to Onkyo fwiw) switches around its output resolutions during power-up and/or source-switching, and perhaps at some point briefly reports a very low rez to the Roku, and some new bug introduced recently in the Roku fw causes it to freak out and mess something up behind the scenes.
0 Kudos

I"m pretty sure this issue came up for me in October or November of 2018. I thought it started further back, but through viewing records was able to trace it's initial occurrence to a a specific show. 
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Digital Native 

Thanks for following up. 

@everyone 

Please feel free to PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About, the make/model of both your TV & A/V receiver, and any additional details about attempted troubleshooting. I'll follow up directly to continue looking into this with you. 
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
fiveliter8
Level 7

"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
@Digital Native 

Thanks for following up. 

@everyone 

Please feel free to PM me with your Roku account email address, the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About, the make/model of both your TV & A/V receiver, and any additional details about attempted troubleshooting. I'll follow up directly to continue looking into this with you. 

Has there been any resolution to this?  PM sent.
0 Kudos
Drakar2007
Level 7

PM Sent.

@fiveliter8: I've heard of no resolution to this yet and it's still occurring for me as of yesterday.
0 Kudos
Murphymumich
Level 7

I'm  getting this as well with my Roku 3, through Onkyo TX-NR727 via HDMI to a Roku TV, 55SF3750. PM sent. Seems like a software problem given that it's happening sporadically and didn't seem to happen until recently? Hard to say. As I mentioned in my PM, I have an AppleTV connected to the set, too - I dislike that interface but at least I don't have to turn it off at least once a day. [/color]
0 Kudos