Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
strouja
Reel Rookie

Re: Frustrated with Roku 3 not recognizing micro SD card

I have the exact same issue with my Roku 3.  I have two Roku 3s and one works fine with Micro SD Card while the other won't recognize it.  I tried 3 different Micro SD Cards

1) 64 GB Class 10

2) 16 GB Class 10

3) 16 GB Class 4

I rebooted my Roku 3 and even cleaned out via an air gun the Micro SD Slot.  i did the reboot with each card at least once.

So I'm pretty sure my SD Card slot is defective. My roku 3 is complaining that it is of space and needs to reload apps, so I want this to work

Cmshilohca

Re: Roku 2 Not Recognizing MicroSD Card

This worked for me, THX

0 Kudos
WayneJ
Reel Rookie

Any answers? I have the same problem with my Roku 3.

0 Kudos
dmeade
Channel Surfer

Alas, I've tried everything suggested in Forum responses to no avail.

My only choice now it to upgrade (buy a newer Roku box) or switch to the new Chromecase dongle.

0 Kudos
MaTA1
Channel Surfer

I did that with my Roku 3 4200x. Kept it plugged into power while inserting the micro SD. I did unplug the HDMI to get to the slot, though. But it still doesn't detect the SD card. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

No one's mentioned it in a while, but make sure the card is fully inserted.  It has to click into place and should be flush with back when fully inserted.  If it's sticking out a little, it's not in.

Personally I think people waste too much time on this issue.  I have a slew of Rokus and I've never used a microSD card; it's just not necessary.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
JulNM
Reel Rookie

your description on the fix is Not clear by a non-technical person like myself

0 Kudos
strouja
Reel Rookie

To update my case, I just bit the bullet and bought a roku ultra.  See here

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra

One of the  micro SD cards that would not work in my 3 or 5 or year old Roku 3 worked just fine in the new Roku Ultra.

Before I did this I even took the microSD card out of my other Roku 3 that worked fine and put this in my other Roku 3 and that did not work either.  That helped convince me my Roku 3 micro SD card did not work (I even tried to clean out the micro SD card slot with an air blower gun [used to blow off dust on computer equipment] and that did not help.

I bought my Roku Ultra a few months ago and it was on sale because unbeknownst to me, Roku was coming out with a new Roku Ultra model (with better wifi).  I have my Roku Ultras connected via gigabit ethernet and not wifi

0 Kudos
acft737

To insert an SD card should never be this complicated for the daily user.  One should be able to insert the card and get certain prompts to accomplish the task. I really appreciate your input, but to some of use, this is above our pay grade!   Does the SD card need to be formatted on the computer, be for inserting into the SD slot. I use an adaptor for the SD card to insert into my Roku, which works well on other devices, i.e. computer, etc.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@acft737 wrote:

To insert an SD card should never be this complicated for the daily user.  One should be able to insert the card and get certain prompts to accomplish the task. I really appreciate your input, but to some of use, this is above our pay grade!   Does the SD card need to be formatted on the computer, be for inserting into the SD slot. I use an adaptor for the SD card to insert into my Roku, which works well on other devices, i.e. computer, etc.

I believe Roku cautions not to use adapters. The card should be the correct format size. No, it should not need formatting on a computer. But depending on the model Roku you have, it might be sensitive to the brand and type of card. 

In reality, the card really isn't of much use. Yes, seldom used channels will take longer to load, but if they're seldom used one can usually just live with it. An SD card provides no other service on a Roku other than channel storage. It doesn't improve performance in any way, other than the load speed of seldom used channels. The Roku won't benefit from an SD card larger than about 4 GB, the rest is just ignored. 

This thread began with the Roku 2 (although there are 5 different versions of a Roku 2, all are quire old), other models have been discussed as well. Make sure you mention your specific model number when you post a question. And if your Roku is getting old, it's entirely possible the SD card slot is experiencing a hardware failure. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.