Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Skeeball
Visitor

Re: Roku 2 Not Recognizing MicroSD Card

Take this FWIW.  I purchased a Class 4 - 4GB MicroSD for this purpose as others recommended 8GB or less.  Couldn't get my Roku 3 to recognize the card.  I tried formatting it FAT, exFAT, FAT32 and even deleted the volume on the card.  Nothing worked, until I created a full 4GB volume and formatted it with FAT32 using the default allocation cluster size and no volume name (I did this using Windows 10).  The Roku recognized it and prompted me to format it.  Reformatted it and it's working like a charm.  I know I had attempted these settings previously, but had specified a volume name.  I don't really know if specifying no volume name did the trick or if it was just reseating the card for the 12th time?   
chedrob
Reel Rookie

Is it possible that someone from ROKU can address this issue?  After all, it us their products.

NedPepper
Binge Watcher

Had trouble with this for years, WORKED like a champ

@Skeeball wrote:
Take this FWIW.  I purchased a Class 4 - 4GB MicroSD for this purpose as others recommended 8GB or less.  Couldn't get my Roku 3 to recognize the card.  I tried formatting it FAT, exFAT, FAT32 and even deleted the volume on the card.  Nothing worked, until I created a full 4GB volume and formatted it with FAT32 using the default allocation cluster size and no volume name (I did this using Windows 10).  The Roku recognized it and prompted me to format it.  Reformatted it and it's working like a charm.  I know I had attempted these settings previously, but had specified a volume name.  I don't really know if specifying no volume name did the trick or if it was just reseating the card for the 12th time?   

I HAD TO COME BACK AND FIND THIS BRILLIANT REMEDY TO THIS FORMATTING    

MIFF, FORGOT WHAT   SKEEBALL RECOMMENDED, BUT IT WORKED ON MY ROKU3.

"default allocation cluster size and no volume name"

0 Kudos
dmeade
Channel Surfer

Frustrated with Roku 3 not recognizing micro SD card

I've tried but failed. My Roku 3 is not recognizing the micro SD card at all. It won't format it because it doesn't know it's there. This is the second micro SD I've tried. Got a class 4 instead of the original class 10 because of user posts that Roku doesn't recognize the faster card. It doesn't recognize this card either!

Is my Roku 3 defective?!?!?!?!

NedPepper
Binge Watcher

@Skeeball wrote:

I HAD TO COME BACK AND FIND THIS BRILLIANT REMEDY TO THIS FORMATTING    

MIFF, FORGOT WHAT   SKEEBALL RECOMMENDED, BUT IT WORKED ON MY ROKU3.

"default allocation cluster size and no volume name"

0 Kudos
dmeade
Channel Surfer

Thanks. My reformat of the micro SD card didn't work, though. 

I Bought a 16 gb PNY micro SDHC Flash card. The card was immediately recognized by a Roku 4630x Roku premiere +. It did recognize the SD card immediately and was easy to reformat. However, my Roku 4200x-Roku3 did not recognize my second 16GB PNY microSDHC Flash card. Resetting the roku, unplugging the roku did not work. However, what did work was placing the card in the slot of the Roku 3 WHILE THE ROKU WAS STILL POWERED. It is hard to get to the micro SD slot without unplugging the roku, and taking the HDMI connection out of the port. But it is possible to keep the roku connected and powered with difficulty. Keep the Roku powered while you insert your card and the Roku instantly recognizes the card. Now you get the ability to format the card on your TV screen.

dmeade
Channel Surfer

Thanks. Tried your method with high hopes. No joy. I didn't work.

0 Kudos
dmeade
Channel Surfer

Re: Frustrated with Roku 3 not recognizing micro SD card

why doesn't Roku repair, upgrade, replace this defect?

0 Kudos
brvision

about3: Had to try 3 times...maybe better to wait a couple of minutes after unplugging RUKU without card then plugging back in and inserting MicroSD...then maybe my not wearing socks helped too...😷