Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Restricting Bandwidth from the settings on the Roku device

We live in a rural place in the Canadian North where there is a monopoly on Internet Services and an extremely high overage fee. 

My family uses a Chromecast, which used to allow you to select a lower quality of video so that we could watch videos at 720p or even lower. Chromecast no longer has that option.

Prime Video and Disney+ also do not allow you to lower the quality of streaming from their apps, instead they assess your internet speed and provide a level of streaming quality that is equivalent to your download speed (which is fairly high here). 

My question is this. Does a ROKU streaming stick (any model) have the capability to restrict it's usage of bandwidth? I have seen some posts online, but they are old and refer to a 'secret' tip. I don't want to go out and buy a new device just hoping it has the options I'm looking for and that these 'secret' options actually exist. 

Does anyone have any input? Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Restricting Bandwidth from the settings on the Roku device

Unfortunately, no there's no such control on any Roku. There used to be a "secret" menu that was supposed to limit the maximum bandwidth speed. However, with the advent of adaptive streaming on the vast majority of sites the secret function didn't work anyway. Roku removed it within the last 6 months or so. But as I said, it didn't really work any longer anyway.

One thing the Roku does now have is the ability to stop streaming if someone forgets and leaves it streaming but turning the TV off. It's called Bandwidth Saver and is enabled by default. It will stop playback after 6 hours with no input from the remote.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos