Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
d0n1
Level 7

[Resolved] Can I disable the annoying male computer voice on roku 8.0?

Everytime I change the OTA TV channel or flip through the new grid guide, this annoying male computerized voice talks over the TV show telling me the date, the time, the signal strength, what I'm looking at on the guide, close captions on or off and reads the entire description that's in the grid guide. REALLY?! WTF ROKU? 

You can't even tell what it;s saying because it's talking over the TV show!!!

Can I disable this feature?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

Re: Can I disable the annoying male computer voice on roku 8.0?

"d0n1" wrote:

Yes. It is in the settings, just look.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

"d0n1" wrote:
Everytime I change the OTA TV channel or flip through the new grid guide, this annoying male computerized voice talks over the TV show telling me the date, the time, the signal strength, what I'm looking at on the guide, close captions on or off and reads the entire description that's in the grid guide. REALLY?! WTF ROKU? 

The AUDIO GUIDE feature is ON if you are hearing channel and menu changes. Got to SETTINGS - ACCESSIBILITY - AUDIO GUIDE and set to OFF.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
d0n1
Level 7

"blade_005" wrote:
"d0n1" wrote:

The AUDIO GUIDE feature is ON if you are hearing channel and menu changes. Got to SETTINGS - ACCESSIBILITY - AUDIO GUIDE and set to OFF.

thanks sir
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I forget the exact button press combination (I think it's pressing the * button multiple times), but that's probably how you accidentally enabled it. I'm sure the firmware update didn't turn it on.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Lilbama5000
Level 7

Here Is Help!!!!!!!!!

Yes I just had same problem... If you have the Roku TV and you accidentally hit the * button the guy comes on to talk LOL sorry I couldn't resist... Okay okay... To turn him off you must push the * button four times to disable it... You're welcome good luck guys... Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
awesam
Level 7

Thank you so much I was about to start pulling my hair out!!
0 Kudos